Effects of Trade Liberalization on Non-farm Household Enterprises in Vietnam
AbstractThis paper evaluates multiple indirect effects of trade liberalization on performance and business behaviours of NFHEs during the transition period in Vietnam based on the industry and enterprise panel data. The paper shows that NFHEs in the benefited industries from trade liberalization had more opportunities to expand their operations or start up and were more likely to survive. However, this is only applicable for NFHEs in labour intensive and unskilled industries and the expansion of NFHEs in these industries did not go together with the improvement of their efficiency. On the other hand, NFHEs in the almost negatively affected manufacturing industries from trade liberalization had to face with the fiercer competition and many of them had to shutdown their operations. Nevertheless, the survived NFHEs had better and high performance and had more chance to become formal SMEs. We also find that the more openness and the lower tariff increased the NFHE income in the industry but these effects were not the same for NFHEs in different industries. There are some concerns for the future role and development of NFHEs in the face of increasing international competition in the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 32.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Trade liberalization; Non-farm household enterprise; Panel data; Vietnam.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-12-21 (Development)
- NEP-TRA-2008-12-21 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.