The Impact of the Economic Stimulus on Domestic, Private Enterprises
AbstractIn the year 2008 and the first half of 2009, the world witnessed the unfolding and heavy repercussions of the global financial crisis which affected Vietnam, among others, through the reduction of investments inflow, lower global commodity prices and trade. The government of Vietnam has acted quickly with its stimulus package, including a 4% interest rate subsidy for enterprises with the objective of preventing the economy from falling further. While there are some anecdotal evidences about the effectiveness of the stimulus package, there is no systematic evidence of the impact of the stimulus package. This paper makes use of the PCI 2008 enterprise survey data, a unique dataset which is only recently made by available to investigate the impact of the 4% interest rate subsidy component of the stimulus package. We find strong statistical evidence that the 4% interest rate subsidy has positive and important impacts on the enterprises, easing the severe effects of the global crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 06.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Freeware; Global financial crisis; fiscal stimulus; interest rate subsidy; Vietnam.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Saul Estrin & Klaus E Meyer, 2007.
"Determinants of Employment Growth at MNEs: Evidence from Egypt, India, South Africa and Vietnam,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 61-80, March.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Estrin, Saul & Meyer, Klaus, 2004. "Determinants of Employment Growth at MNEs: Evidence from Egypt, India, South Africa and Vietnam," IZA Discussion Papers 1272, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Klaus Meyer & Saul Estrin, 2004. "Determinants of Employment Growth at MNEs: Evidence from Egypt, India, South Africa and Vietnam," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-707, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- John Rand, 2007.
"‘Credit Constraints and Determinants of the Cost of Capital in Vietnamese Manufacturing’,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 1-13, June.
- John Rand, 2004. "Credit Constraints and Determinants of the Cost of Capital in Vietnamese Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 05-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huynh, Phu & Parisotto, Aurelio, 2012. "Case studies of policy coherence initiatives in developing Asia," ILO Working Papers 471421, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.