Assessing the Potential Impact of the Global Crisis on the Labour Market and the Informal Sector in Vietnam
AbstractAlthough the impact was less dramatic than in other Asian countries, Vietnam has been affected by the international crisis which started in 2008, resulting in a significant slowdown of economic growth. This paper aims at assessing the impact of this economic crisis on employment, unemployment and the informal sector. Contrarily to previous studies on this subject, we anticipate a very small increase of unemployment. According to our estimates, most of the impact of the crisis in terms of employment will actually be felt in the informal sector, where most new entrants on the labour market and laid(off workers will end up working. This feature will result in an urgent need to put in place specific policies to tackle informal sector low productivity and its manpower's lack of labour protection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 05.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/10758 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huu Chi Nguyen & Christophe Nordman & François Roubaud, 2011.
"Who Suffers the Penalty? A Panel Data Analysis of Earnings Gaps in Vietnam,"
DT/2011/15, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Nguyen, Huu Chi & Nordman, Christophe Jalil & Roubaud, François, 2013. "Who Suffers the Penalty? A Panel Data Analysis of Earnings Gaps in Vietnam," IZA Discussion Papers 7149, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nordman, Christophe J. & Nguyen, Huu Chi & Roubaud, François, 2011. "Who Suffers the Penalty? A Panel Data Analysis of Earnings Gaps in Vietnam," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 60, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2012. "Secteur informel, crise et politiques publiques au Vietnam," Working Papers DT/2012/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Roubaud, François & Razafindrakoto, Mireille & Nguyễn, Hữu Chí & Cling, Jean-Pierre, 2012. "Urbanization and access to labour market in Vietnam: Weight and characteristics of the informal sector," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10758, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud & Jean-Michel Wachsberger, 2012. "Santé, Inégalités et ruptures sociales à Antananarivo, Premiers résultats de l’enquête SIRS 2003," Working Papers DT/2012/10, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Thị Thu Huyền, Nguyen & Hữu Chí, Nguyen & Ba Hien, Dinh & Ngọc Minh Nhung, Dao & Roubaud, François & Razafindrakoto, Mireille & Demenet, Axel, 2010. "Dynamics of the informal sector in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City 2007-2009 : main findings of the Household Business & Informal sector survey (HB&IS)," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7474, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.