Firms' dynamic adjustment to target capital structures in transition economies
AbstractWe study the capital structure dynamics of Central and Eastern European firms in order to get a better understanding of the quantitative and qualitative development of the financial systems in this region. The dynamic model we use endogenizes the target leverage as well as the adjustment speed and is applied to microeconomic data for ten countries. We find that during the transition process firms generally increased their leverage, lowering the gap between actual and target leverage. Profitability and age are the most robust determinants of capital structure targets. Older firms attract more bank debt, whereas profitability decreases firms' leverage targets. While banking system development has in general enabled firms to get closer to their leverage targets, information asymmetries between firms and banks are still important. As a result, firms prefer internal finance to bank debt (pecking order behaviour) and adjust leverage only slowly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 761.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
capital structure dynamics; transition economies; financial system development;
Other versions of this item:
- R.T.A. de Haas & H.M.M. Peeters, 2004. "Firms' Dynamic Adjustment to Target Capital Structures in Transition Economies," Finance 0405014, EconWPA.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Rangan, Kasturi P., 2006. "Partial adjustment toward target capital structures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 469-506, March.
- Konings, Jozef & Rizov, Marian & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2003. "Investment and financial constraints in transition economies: micro evidence from Poland, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Romania," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 253-258, February.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Eugene Nivorozhkin, 2003. "The dynamics of capital structure in transition economies," Macroeconomics 0303005, EconWPA.
- Nivorozhkin, Eugene, 2003. "The dynamics of capital structure in transition economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 2/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- R.T.A. de Haas & I.P.P. van Lelyveld, 2003.
"Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
91, Netherlands Central Bank.
- R. T.A. de Haas & I. P.P van Lelyveld, 2004. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 125-151, August.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2002. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," International Finance 0209002, EconWPA.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- L. de Haan & J. Hinloopen, 1999.
"Debt or equity? An empirical study of security issues by Dutch companies,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
577, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo & Hinloopen, Jeroen, 2003. "Preference hierarchies for internal finance, bank loans, bond, and share issues: evidence for Dutch firms," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 661-681, December.
- Leo de Haan & Jeroen Hinloopen, 2002. "Ordering the Preference Hierarchies for Internal Finance, Bank Loans, Bond and Share Issues," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-072/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lööf, Hans, 2003. "Dynamic Optimal Capital Structure and Technological Change," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-06, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gabrielle Wanzenried, 2002. "Capital Structure Dynamics in UK and Continental Europe," Diskussionsschriften dp0209, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Nina Budina & Harry Garretsen & Eelke de Jong, 2000. "Liquidity Constraints and Investment in Transition Economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 453-475, July.
- Cornelli, Francesca & Portes, Richard & Schaffer, Mark E, 1996.
"The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cornelli, F. & Portes, R. & Schaffer, M., 1996. "The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe," DELTA Working Papers 96-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Hovakimian, Armen & Opler, Tim & Titman, Sheridan, 2001. "The Debt-Equity Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 1-24, March.
- Jayaratne, Jith & Strahan, Philip E, 1996. "The Finance-Growth Nexus: Evidence from Bank Branch Deregulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 639-70, August.
- Greetje Everaert & Antje Hildebrandt, 2001. "On the Causes of Soft Budget Constraints: Firm-Level Evidence from Bulgaria and Romania," LICOS Discussion Papers 10901, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Qaizar Hussain & Eugeniy Nivorozhkin, 1997. "The Capital Structure of Listed Companies in Poland," IMF Working Papers 97/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Banerjee, Saugata & Heshmati, Almas & Wihlborg, Clas, 1999. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 333, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 May 2000.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2001. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure: Evidence from Swedish Micro and Small Firms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0440, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eli M. Remolona, 1990. "Understanding international differences in leverage trends," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 31-42.
- Nengjiu Ju & Robert Parrino & Allen M. Poteshman & Michael S. Weisbach, 2002. "Horses and Rabbits? Optimal Dynamic Capital Structure from Shareholder and Manager Perspectives," NBER Working Papers 9327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli M. Remolona, 1990. "Understanding international differences in leverage trends," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, number 1990uidil.
- Eli Remolona, 1990. "Understanding international differences in leverage trends," Research Paper 9025, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Klapper, Leora & Sarria-Allende, Virginia & Sulla, Victor, 2002. "Small and medium size enterprise financing in Eastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2933, The World Bank.
- Mihails Kuznecovs & Sarmistha Pal, 2011.
"Does Corporate Governance Reform Necessarily Boost Firm Performance? Recent Evidence from Russia,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
11-06, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Kuznecovs, Mihails & Pal, Sarmistha, 2012. "Does Corporate Governance Reform Necessarily Boost Firm Performance? Recent Evidence from Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 6519, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.