The simple economics of bank fragility
AbstractBanks are linked through the interbank deposit market, participations like syndicated loans and deposit interest rate risk. the similarity in exposures carries the potential for systemic breakdowns. this potential is either weak or strong, depending on whether the linkages remain or vanish asymptotically. it is shown that the linearity of the bank portfolios in the exposures, in combination with a condition on the tails of the marginal distributions of these exposures, determines whether the potential for systemic risk is weak or strong. we show that if the exposures have marginal normal distributions the potential for systemic risk is weak, while if e.g. the student distributions apply the potential is strong.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 755.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Bank Linkages; Fragility and Systemic Failure; Multivariate Extreme Value Analysis; Asymptotic Dependence and Independence;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- POON, Ser-Huang & ROCKINGER, Michael & TAWN, Jonathan, 2001.
"New Extreme-Value Dependance Measures and Finance Applications,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
719, HEC Paris.
- Poon, Ser-Huang & Rockinger, Michael & Tawn, Jonathan, 2001. "New Extreme-Value Dependence Measures and Finance Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers 2762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dennis Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988.
"On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective,"
1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Brian H. Boyer & Michael S. Gibson & Mico Loretan, 1997. "Pitfalls in tests for changes in correlations," International Finance Discussion Papers 597, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- King, Mervyn A & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Transmission of Volatility between Stock Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 5-33.
- Gorton, Gary, 1988.
"Banking Panics and Business Cycles,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 751-81, December.
- Straetmans, Stefan, 2000. "Extremal spillovers in financial markets," Serie Research Memoranda 0013, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Detragiache, Enrica, 2001.
"Bank Fragility and International Capital Mobility,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 673-87, November.
- de Haan, Laurens & Resnick, Sidney I. & Rootzén, Holger & de Vries, Casper G., 1989. "Extremal behaviour of solutions to a stochastic difference equation with applications to arch processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 213-224, August.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
739, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998. "Financial Contagion Journal of Political Economy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- J.A. Bikker & I.P.P. van Lelyveld, 2002. "Economic versus Regulatory Capital for Financial Conglomerates," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 45, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Estrella, Arturo, 2001. "Mixing and matching: Prospective financial sector mergers and market valuation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2367-2392, December.
- Longin, Francois M, 1996. "The Asymptotic Distribution of Extreme Stock Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(3), pages 383-408, July.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2000.
"A New Approach to Measuring Financial Contagion,"
NBER Working Papers
7913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Kwast, Myron L., 2002. "Systemic risk and financial consolidation: Are they related?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 861-880, May.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006.
"Risk Assessment for Banking Systems,"
INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1301-1314, September.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Blattberg, Robert C & Gonedes, Nicholas J, 1974. "A Comparison of the Stable and Student Distributions as Statistical Models for Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 244-80, April.
- Starica, Catalin, 1999. "Multivariate extremes for models with constant conditional correlations," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 515-553, December.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic risk: A survey,"
Working Paper Series
0035, European Central Bank.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Myron L. Kwast, 2002. "Systemic Risk and Financial Consolidation: Are they Related?," IMF Working Papers 02/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Claudio Dicembrino & Pasquale Lucio Scandizzo, 2012.
"Can Portfolio Diversification increase Systemic Risk? Evidence from the U.S and European Mutual Funds Market,"
CEIS Research Paper
240, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 11 Jul 2012.
- Dicembrino, Claudio & Scandizzo, Pasquale Lucio, 2011. "Can portfolio diversification increase systemic risk? evidence from the U.S and European mutual funds market," MPRA Paper 33715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J.L. Geluk & C.G. de Vries, 2004.
"Weighted Sums of Subexponential Random Variables and Asymptotic Dependence between Returns on Reinsurance Equities,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-102/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Geluk, J.L. & De Vries, C.G., 2006. "Weighted sums of subexponential random variables and asymptotic dependence between returns on reinsurance equities," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 39-56, February.
- Kyle Moore & Chen Zhou, 2012. "Identifying systemically important financial institutions: size and other determinants," DNB Working Papers 347, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Chen Zhou, 2010. "Are Banks Too Big to Fail? Measuring Systemic Importance of Financial Institutions," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 205-250, December.
- C. A. E. Goodhart & Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto, 2009. "Banking Stability Measures," IMF Working Papers 09/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & de Vries, C.G., 2010. "Heavy tails and currency crises," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 241-254, March.
- Herrera, R. & Eichler, S., 2011. "Extreme dependence with asymmetric thresholds: Evidence for the European Monetary Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2916-2930, November.
- Slijkerman, Jan Frederik & Schoenmaker, Dirk & de Vries, Casper G., 2013. "Systemic risk and diversification across European banks and insurers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 773-785.
- K. Minderhoud, 2006. "Systemic Risk in the Dutch Financial Sector," De Economist, Springer, vol. 154(2), pages 177-195, June.
- van Oordt, Maarten R.C. & Zhou, Chen, 2012.
"The simple econometrics of tail dependence,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 371-373.
- Ana Babus, 2006. "The Formation of Financial Networks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-093/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Chen Zhou, 2010. "Why the micro-prudential regulation fails? The impact on systemic risk by imposing a capital requirement," DNB Working Papers 256, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Daníelsson, Jón & Jorgensen, Bjørn N. & Samorodnitsky, Gennady & Sarma, Mandira & de Vries, Casper G., 2013. "Fat tails, VaR and subadditivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 283-291.
- J.L. Geluk & L. de Haan & C.G. de Vries, 2007. "Weak & Strong Financial Fragility," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-023/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Pais, Amelia & Stork, Philip A., 2011. "Contagion risk in the Australian banking and property sectors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 681-697, March.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Juan Solé, 2011.
"Cross-border financial surveillance: a network perspective,"
Journal of Financial Economic Policy,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 182-205, August.
- Juan Sole & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2010. "Cross-Border Financial Surveillance: A Network Perspective," IMF Working Papers 10/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Maarten van Oordt, 2012. "Securitization and the dark side of diversification," DNB Working Papers 341, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Garita, Gus, 2011. "The reciprocal relationship between systemic risk and real economic activity," MPRA Paper 33135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.