Employment dynamics within small, medium and large establishments in the netherlands at the end of the 1990s: where and to what extent did job creation and job destruction occur?
AbstractThis study analyses Dutch employment growth and dynamics during the booming end 1990s. In this period many new jobs were created as employment growth was strongly positive. Next to these net flows of employment the gross flows of employment i.e. the numbers of jobs created and number of jobs destructed- are calculated per establishment in 1994, 1996 and 1998. From the analyses follows that relatively many jobs were destructed. Further, relatively more job creation and job destruction took place in small than in large establishments. Significant evidence for job creation as a consequence of government subsidized programs was not found. Neither did the development of real wages affect job creation or destruction during the end 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 742.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Labour demand; employment; jobs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2003-10-12 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2003-10-12 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, December.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.