Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds
AbstractThis paper analyzes optimal investment policies for pension funds of a defined benefit (DB) type. The nature of a DB fund induces a natural modeling of preferences being of the mean-downside risk type. With compensation for inflation as an explicit goal of a pension fund, a natural reference point for the risk measure is the real or indexed value of the liabilities. Results are presented for a mean-shortfall model and different assumptions for inflation uncertainty, correlation between inflation and stock returns, and the level of the risk-free rate. Comparative statics show increased risk-taking for funding ratios moving away from the reference point. We provide intuition for the results and compare the outcomes with actual investment policies of six large Dutch pension funds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 728.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
pension funds; optimal investment; defined benefit;
Other versions of this item:
- Siegmann, Arjen, 2007. "Optimal investment policies for defined benefit pension funds," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 1-20, March.
- Arjen Siegmann, 2003. "Optimal Investment Policies for Defined Benefit Pension Funds," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 112, Netherlands Central Bank.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maranas, C. D. & Androulakis, I. P. & Floudas, C. A. & Berger, A. J. & Mulvey, J. M., 1997. "Solving long-term financial planning problems via global optimization," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1405-1425, June.
- Benartzi, Shlomo & Thaler, Richard H, 1995.
"Myopic Loss Aversion and the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 73-92, February.
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard H. Thaler, 1993. "Myopic Loss Aversion and the Equity Premium Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 4369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall S. Hiller & Jonathan Eckstein, 1993. "Stochastic Dedication: Designing Fixed Income Portfolios Using Massively Parallel Benders Decomposition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(11), pages 1422-1438, November.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Zenios, Stavros A. & Holmer, Martin R. & McKendall, Raymond & Vassiadou-Zeniou, Christiana, 1998. "Dynamic models for fixed-income portfolio management under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 1517-1541, August.
- Hirshleifer, David, 2001.
"Investor Psychology and Asset Pricing,"
5300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arjen Siegmann, 2008.
"Minimum Funding Ratios for Defined-Benefit Pension Funds,"
DNB Working Papers
180, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Siegmann, Arjen, 2011. "Minimum funding ratios for defined-benefit pension funds," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 417-434, July.
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2013.
"Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study,"
Working Paper Series
05_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Shuangzhe Liu & Tiefeng Ma & Wolfgang Polasek, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Working Paper Series 75_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Liu, Shuangzhe & Ma, Tiefeng & Polasek, Wolfgang, 2012. "Spatial System Estimators for Panel Models: A Sensitivity and Simulation Study," Economics Series 294, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fortin, Ines & Hlouskova, Jaroslava, 2012. "Optimal Asset Allocation under Quadratic Loss Aversion," Economics Series 291, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Peter Vlaar, 2005. "Defined Benefit Pension Plans and Regulation," DNB Working Papers 063, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.