Forecasting euro area inflation: Does contemponaneous aggregration improve the forecasting performance
AbstractSince price stability is the ESCB's primary objective, the evaluation of price development in the light of the second pillar of the ESCB's monetary policy strategy is essential. As the European Central Bank has started publishing its inflation forecast for the euro area in December 2000, forecasting inflation for the area has become of increasing importance. In this study it is systematically analysed whether the forecasting performance of euro area inflation models can be improved by aggregating forecasts of HICP subindices in comparison to forecasting total euro area inflation directly. The comparison is carried out across different methodological approaches. The VECM id found to ouperform the VAR and a univariate AR model for almost all HICP (sub-)indices. The results regarding the relative performance of aggregating forecasts of disaggregated time series in comparison with forecasting the aggregated time series directly, however, show a tendency for a better performance of forecasting euro area inflation directly. Therefore, relying on aggregated forecasts of subcomponents when forecasting euro area or national inflation should be considered with some caution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 661.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
euro area inflation; forecasting; contemporaneous aggregation; linear time series;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-56, September.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, .
"Macroeconomic Forecasting in the Euro Area: Country Specific versus Area-Wide Information,"
201, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2003. "Macroeconomic forecasting in the Euro area: Country specific versus area-wide information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Elena Angelini & Jérôme Henry & Ricardo Mestre, 2001.
"Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 109-138
Bank for International Settlements.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0061, European Central Bank.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1993.
"Cointegration and aggregation,"
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 281-291, September.
- Gonzalo, J., 1992. "Cointegration and Aggregation," Papers 11, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, Jesús, . "Cointegration and aggregation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/740, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-36, January.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998. "Diffusion Indexes," NBER Working Papers 6702, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001.
"A multi-country trend indicator for euro area inflation: computation and properties,"
Working Paper Series
0060, European Central Bank.
- Elena Angelini & Jérôme Henry & Ricardo Mestre, 2001. "A multi-country trend indicator for euro area inflation: computation and properties," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 81-108 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kohn, Robert, 1982. "When is an aggregate of a time series efficiently forecast by its past?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 337-349, April.
- Morana, Claudio, 2000. "Measuring core inflation in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0036, European Central Bank.
- Rose, David E., 1977. "Forecasting aggregates of independent Arima processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-345, May.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1984. "Linear transformations of vector ARMA processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-293, December.
- Clive W. J. Granger, 1988. "Aggregation of time series variables-a survey," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 1, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tiao, G. C. & Guttman, Irwin, 1980. "Forecasting contemporal aggregates of multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 219-230, February.
- Gabriel Moser & Fabio Rumler & Johann Scharler, 2004.
"Forecasting Austrian Inflation,"
91, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- A.H.J. den Reijer & P.J.G. Vlaar, 2003. "Forecasting Inflation in the Netherlands and the Euro Area," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 723, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- P.J.G. Vlaar & A.H.J. den Reijer, 2003.
"Forecasting inflation: An art as well as a science!,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
107, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Ard Reijer & Peter Vlaar, 2006. "Forecasting Inflation: An Art as Well as a Science!," De Economist, Springer, vol. 154(1), pages 19-40, 03.
- Peter Vlaar & Ard den Reijer, 2004. "Forecasting inflation: An art as well as a science!," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 148, Society for Computational Economics.
- Friedrich Fritzer & Gabriel Moser & Johann Scharler, 2002. "Forecasting Austrian HICP and its Components using VAR and ARIMA Models," Working Papers 73, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.