Monetary Conditions in Europe: a methodological analysis
AbstractRecent studies criticise the construction of a Monetary Conditions Index (MCI), a composite index of interest and exchange rates frequently published by (central) banks, IMF and OECD. Instead of estimating the weights of this index by means of simple IS-curves, this paper investigates interest and exchange rates effects on real GDP on the basis of large macroeconometric models for some European countries and the European Economic and Monetary Union. Under a monetary union the impact of the exchange rate on GDP relative to that of the short-term interest rate is substantially lower than without this union. Furthermore the inclusion of a long-term interest rate in the MCI is investigated. From the analyses emerges that for most countries this affects only the level of the MCI but not the turning points.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 547.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caesar P Lack, 2003. "A financial conditions index for Switzerland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 398-413 Bank for International Settlements.
- Mayes, David G. & Viren, Matti, 1998.
"The Exchange Rate and Monetary Conditions in the Euro Area,"
Research Discussion Papers
27/1998, Bank of Finland.
- David Mayes & Matti Virén, 2000. "The exchange rate and monetary conditions in the Euro area," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 199-231, June.
- Mayes, D.G. & Viren, M., 1998. "The Exchange Rate and Monetary Conditions in the Euro Area," Bank of Finland - Studies in Economics and Finance 27/98, Bank of Finland. Research Department..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.