Monetary policy and fiscal discipline in the EMU: a game-theoretic analysis of the Stability Pact
AbstractIn this report a formal game-theoretic framework is presented to analyse the effects of the Stability Pact on monetary policy in the EMU. First, the model shows that high deficits and government debt lead to excessive inflation, causing a rise in interest rates. Second, the analysis confirms the notion that the Stability Pact has a dampening effect on inflation, depending on the severity of the sanctions. Moreover, the analysis gives support to the much debated policy goal of 'close to balance or in surplus', concerning the deficit/GDP ratio. Finally, the model can also give insight in the relation between the economic independence of the ECB and the effectivity of the Stability Pact.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) with number 529.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard Hule & Matthias Sutter, 2003. "Can the Stability and Growth Pact in EMU Cause Budget Deficit Cycles?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 25-38, March.
- Matteo Governatori & Sylvester Eijffinger, 2004.
"Fiscal and Monetary Interaction: The Role of Asymmetries of the Stability and Growth Pact in EMU,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1354, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Governatori, Matteo, 2004. "Fiscal and Monetary Interaction: The Role of Asymmetries of the Stability and Growth Pact in EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 4647, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Governatori, M., 2004. "Fiscal and Monetary Interaction: The Role of Asymmetries of the Stability and Growth Pact in EMU," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-143035, Tilburg University.
- W. Bolt, 1999. "Fiscal Restraints, ECB Credibility and the Stability Pact:A Game-Theoretic Perspective," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 38, Netherlands Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.