De samenhang tussen beurskoersen en huizenprijzen
AbstractIn this paper the relationship between stock prices and house prices is analysed for six countries over the years 1976-2001. We find that both asset prices show a positive long-term relationship, which can partly be explained by common macro-economic factors such as credit, consumption and interest rates. Moreover, a direct and increasing interaction between stock prices and house prices is found. The causality is likely to run mainly from the stock market to the housing market, with house prices responding to stock prices with a lag of two to three years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department in its series MEB Series (discontinued) with number 2002-17.
Date of creation: Sep 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Jan Kakes & Jan Willem Van Den End, 2004. "Do stock prices affect house prices? Evidence for the Netherlands," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 741-744.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Hali Edison, 2003. "Is Wealth Increasingly Driving Consuption?," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 101, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Hooi Hooi Lean & Russell Smyth, 2011. "REITs, interest rates and stock prices in Malaysia," Monash Economics Working Papers 01-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Luca Agnello & Ludger Schuknecht, 2009.
"Booms and busts in housing markets - determinants and implications,"
Working Paper Series
1071, European Central Bank.
- Agnello, Luca & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2011. "Booms and busts in housing markets: Determinants and implications," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 171-190, September.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Valerien Pede, 2009. "Regional Housing Price Cycles: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis Using Us State Level," Working Papers 09-04, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- David G McMillan, 2012. "Long-run stock price-house price relation: evidence from an ESTR model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1737-1746.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.