Dynamic visualization of large transaction networks: the daily Dutch overnight money market
AbstractThis paper shows how large data sets can be visualized in a dynamic way to support exploratory research, highlight econometric results or provide early warning information. The case studies included in this paper case are based on the payments and unsecured money market transaction data of the Dutch part of the Eurosystem's large value payment system, TARGET2. We show how animation facilitates analysis at three different levels. First, animation shows how the market macrostructure develops. Second, it enables individual banks that are of interest to be followed. Finally, it facilitates a comparison of the same market at different moments in time and of different markets (such as countries) at the same moment in time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Working Papers with number 418.
Date of creation: Mar 2014
Date of revision:
interbank network; visualization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2014-04-18 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2014-04-18 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ICT-2014-04-18 (Information & Communication Technologies)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- Klaus Abbink & Ronald Bosman & Ronald Heijmans & Frans van Winden, 2010.
"Disruptions in large value payment systems: An experimental approach,"
Working Paper series, University of East Anglia, Centre for Behavioural and Experimental Social Science (CBESS)
10-11, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Klaus Abbink & Ronald Bosman & Ronald Heijmans & Frans van Winden, 2010. "Disruptions in large value payment systems: An experimental approach," DNB Working Papers 263, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver, 2011. "Is this bank ill? The diagnosis of doctor TARGET2," DNB Working Papers 316, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Morten L. Bech & Rodney J. Garratt, 2012.
"Illiquidity in the Interbank Payment System Following Wide‐Scale Disruptions,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(5), pages 903-929, 08.
- Morten L. Bech & Rod Garratt, 2006. "Illiquidity in the interbank payment system following wide-scale disruptions," Staff Reports 239, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012.
"Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morten L. Bech & Carl T. Bergstrom & Rodney J. Garratt & Martin Rosvall, 2011. "Mapping change in the federal funds market," Staff Reports 507, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Luca Arciero & Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Marco Massarenti & Cristina Picillo & Francesco Vacirca, 2014.
"How to measure the unsecured money market? The Eurosystem’s implementation and validation using TARGET2 data,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
215, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Luca Arciero & Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Marco Massarenti & Cristina Picillo & Francesco Vacirca, 2013. "How to measure the unsecured money market? The Eurosystem's implementation and validation using TARGET2 data," DNB Working Papers 369, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jonathan A. Schwabish, 2014. "An Economist's Guide to Visualizing Data," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 209-34, Winter.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Casper Christophersen, 2010. "Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance," Working Paper 2010/11, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.