A macroprudential approach to address liquidity risk with the Loan-to-Deposit ratio
AbstractThis paper maps the empirical features of the Loan-to-Deposit (LTD) ratio with an eye on using it in macroprudential policy to mitigate liquidity risk. We inspect the LTD trends and cycles of 11 euro area countries by filtering methods and analyze the interaction between loans and deposits. We propose that the trend of the LTD ratio is maintained within an upper and lower bound to avoid bad equilibria. To manage the LTD ratio between the boundaries we formulate two macroprudential rules. One that stimulates banks to issue retail deposits in an upturn and one that incentivizes banks to create loanable funds to support lending in a downturn, facilitated by a sufficiently long adjustment period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Working Papers with number 372.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Financial stability; Banks; Liquidity; Regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-03-16 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-03-16 (Central Banking)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2009.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(6), pages 2201-2238, June.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002.
"Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," NBER Working Papers 6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy S. Stein, 1998. "Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking," Proceedings 582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Betz, Frank & Oprica, Silviu & Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Sarlin, Peter, 2013. "Predicting distress in European banks," Working Paper Series 1597, European Central Bank.
- Mark Mink & Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Measuring Synchronicity And Co-Movement Of Business Cycles With An Application To The Euro Area,"
CAMA Working Papers
2007-19, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Mark Mink & Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Jakob de Haan, 2012. "Measuring coherence of output gaps with an application to the euro area," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 217-236, April.
- Jakob de Haan & Jan Jacobs & Mark Mink, 2007. "Measuring Synchronicity and Co-movement of Business Cycles with an Application to the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 2112, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Michael R King & James Yetman, 2011. "Weathering the financial crisis: good policy or good luck?," BIS Working Papers 351, Bank for International Settlements.
- Chadha, Jagjit S. & Corrado, Luisa, 2012.
"Macro-prudential policy on liquidity: What does a DSGE model tell us?,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 37-62.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011. "Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What does a DSGE Model tell us?," Studies in Economics 1108, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011. "Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What Does a DSGE Model Tell Us?," CEIS Research Paper 193, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 02 May 2011.
- Richard Johnson, 2001. "Fiscal reaction rules in numerical macro models," Research Working Paper RWP 01-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Andreas Jobst, 2012. "Measuring Systemic Risk-Adjusted Liquidity (SRL)," IMF Working Papers 12/209, International Monetary Fund.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011.
"Anchoring countercyclical capital buffers: the role of credit aggregates,"
BIS Working Papers
355, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011. "Anchoring Countercyclical Capital Buffers: The role of Credit Aggregates," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(4), pages 189-240, December.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012. "Characterising the financial cycle: don't lose sight of the medium term!," BIS Working Papers 380, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.