Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation
AbstractWe investigate 62 Dutch banks' liquidity behaviour between January 2004 and March 2010, when these banks were subject to a liquidity regulation that is very similar to Basel III's Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR). We find that most banks hold more liquid assets against their stock of liquid liabilities, such as demand deposits, than strictly required under the regulation. More solvent banks hold fewer liquid assets against their stock of liquid liabilities, suggesting an interaction between capital and liquidity buffers. However, this interaction turns out to be weaker during a crisis. Although not required, some banks consider cash flows scheduled beyond one month ahead when setting liquidity asset holdings, but they seldom look further ahead than one year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Working Papers with number 346.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Banks; Liquidity; Regulation;
Other versions of this item:
- de Haan, Leo & van den End, Jan Willem, 2013. "Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3930-3950.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-08-23 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-08-23 (Central Banking)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011.
"Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What Does a DSGE Model Tell Us?,"
CEIS Research Paper
193, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 02 May 2011.
- Chadha, Jagjit S. & Corrado, Luisa, 2012. "Macro-prudential policy on liquidity: What does a DSGE model tell us?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 37-62.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011. "Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What does a DSGE Model tell us?," Studies in Economics 1108, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Debt Maturity Structure and Liquidity Risk," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 709-37, August.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2009.
NBER Working Papers
14943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhiguo He & Wei Xiong, 2010.
"Rollover Risk and Credit Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
15653, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- van den End, Jan Willem & Tabbae, Mostafa, 2012.
"When liquidity risk becomes a systemic issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 107-120.
- Jan Willem van den End & Mostafa Tabbae, 2009. "When liquidity risk becomes a macro-prudential issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour," DNB Working Papers 230, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Skeie, David, 2011.
"A model of liquidity hoarding and term premia in inter-bank markets,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 436-447.
- Acharya, Viral V & Skeie, David, 2011. "A Model of Liquidity Hoarding and Term Premia in Inter-Bank Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 8705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & David Skeie, 2011. "A model of liquidity hoarding and term premia in inter-bank markets," Staff Reports 498, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Deep, Akash & Schaefer, Guido, 2004. "Are Banks Liquidity Transformers?," Working Paper Series rwp04-022, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- De Socio, Antonio, 2013. "The interbank market after the financial turmoil: Squeezing liquidity in a “lemons market” or asking liquidity “on tap”," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1340-1358.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Acharya, Viral & Song Shin, Hyun & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "Endogenous choice of bank liquidity: the role of fire sales," Bank of England working papers 376, Bank of England.
- Goodhart, C., 2008. "Liquidity risk management," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 11, pages 39-44, February.
- Lev Ratnovski & Rocco Huang, 2010.
"The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding,"
IMF Working Papers
10/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Germán López-Espinosa & Antonio Moreno & Antonio Rubia & Laura Valderrama, 2012.
"Short-term Wholesale Funding and Systemic Risk: A Global CoVaR Approach,"
Faculty Working Papers
02/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- López-Espinosa, Germán & Moreno, Antonio & Rubia, Antonio & Valderrama, Laura, 2012. "Short-term wholesale funding and systemic risk: A global CoVaR approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3150-3162.
- Liliana Schumacher & Theodore M. Barnhill, 2011. "Modeling Correlated Systemic Liquidity and Solvency Risks in a Financial Environment with Incomplete Information," IMF Working Papers 11/263, International Monetary Fund.
- Leo de Haan & Jan Willem van den End, 2011.
"Banks' responses to funding liquidity shocks: lending adjustment, liquidity hoarding and fire sales,"
DNB Working Papers
293, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo & van den End, Jan Willem, 2013. "Banks’ responses to funding liquidity shocks: Lending adjustment, liquidity hoarding and fire sales," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 152-174.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Holl, Dorothee & Schertler, Andrea, 2009. "Why do savings banks transform sight deposits into illiquid assets less intensively than the regulation allows?," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Rajan ( , Ramkishen S. & Bird, Graham, 2003. "Banks, Maturity Mismatches and Liquidity Crises: A Simple Model," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 56(2), pages 185-192.
- Allen N. Berger & Christa H. S. Bouwman, 2009. "Bank Liquidity Creation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3779-3837, September.
- Fátima Teresa Sol Murta & Ana Margarida Garcia, 2010. "The Demand for Excess Reserves in the Euro Area and the Impact of the Current Credit Crisis," GEMF Working Papers 2010-01, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, December.
- Mark Mink, 2011. "Procyclical Bank Risk-Taking and the Lender of Last Resort," DNB Working Papers 301, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Rösch, Christoph G. & Kaserer, Christoph, 2013. "Market liquidity in the financial crisis: The role of liquidity commonality and flight-to-quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2284-2302.
- Clemens Bonner & Sylvester Eijffinger, 2012.
"The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market,"
DNB Working Papers
364, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bonner, C. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2012. "The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market," Discussion Paper 2012-075, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.