Valuation of Liabilities in Hybrid Pension Plans
AbstractIn this paper we derive an analytic valuation formula for a generalized form of liabilities in hybrid pension plans taking account of both equity and interest rate risk. Comparative statistics are carried out to show the relevance of some key parameters in defining the hybrid pension plans, particularly the indicator of hybridity and the equity allocation in the pension fund’s investment policy. We find that both the level of hybridity and the equity allocation of the pension fund impact the value of hybrid plan liabilities. This should affect the negotiation between employers and employees on total labor compensation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Working Papers with number 326.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Market consistent valuation; overlapping generations; forward risk adjusted measure; Vasicek;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Frank, 2008. "Pension fund investments and the valuation of liabilities under conditional indexation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Clark, Robert L. & Schieber, Sylvester J., 2004. "Adopting cash balance pension plans: implications and issues," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 271-295, November.
- Grosen, Anders & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001. "Life Insurance Liabilities at Market Value," Finance Working Papers 01-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Eduard Ponds & Bart van Riel, 2007.
"The Recent Evolution of Pension Funds in the Netherlands: The Trend to Hybrid DB-DC Plans and Beyond,"
Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
wp2007-9, Center for Retirement Research, revised Apr 2007.
- Ponds, E.H.M. & Riel, B. van, 2007. "The Recent Evolution of Pension Funds in the Netherlands: The trend to Hybrid DB-DC Plans and Beyond," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-387570, Tilburg University.
- Leora Friedberg & Anthony Webb, 2003.
"Retirement and the Evolution of Pension Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Broeders, 2010. "Valuation of Contingent Pension Liabilities and Guarantees Under Sponsor Default Risk," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(4), pages 911-934.
- Coronado, Julia Lynn & Copeland, Philip C., 2004. "Cash balance pension plan conversions and the new economy," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 297-314, November.
- Johnson, Richard W. & Steuerle, Eugene, 2004. "Promoting work at older ages: the role of hybrid pension plans in an aging population," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 315-337, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Greg Niehaus & Tong Yu, 2005. "Cash-Balance Plan Conversions: Evidence on Excise Taxes and Implicit Contracts," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 321-352.
- Dirk Broeders & An Chen, 2008.
"Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities - a contingent claims analysis using Parisian options,"
DNB Working Papers
183, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Broeders, Dirk & Chen, An, 2010. "Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities: A contingent claims analysis using Parisian options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1201-1214, June.
- Laura Ballotta & Steven Haberman & Nan Wang, 2006. "Guarantees in With-Profit and Unitized With-Profit Life Insurance Contracts: Fair Valuation Problem in Presence of the Default Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 97-121.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.