Liquidity Stress-Tester: A macro model for stress-testing banks' liquidity risk
AbstractThis paper presents a macro stress-testing model for market and funding liquidity risks of banks, which have been main drivers of the recent financial crisis. The model takes into account the first and second round (feedback) effects of shocks, induced by behavioural reactions of heterogeneous banks, and idiosyncratic reputation effects. The impact on liquidity risk is simulated by a Monte Carlo approach. This generates distributions of liquidity buffers for each scenario round, including the probability of a liquidity shortfall. An application to Dutch banks illustrates that the second round effects have more impact than the first round effects and hit all types of banks, indicative of systemic risk. This lends support policy initiatives to enhance banks' liquidity buffers and liquidity risk management, which could also contribute to prevent financial stability risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department in its series DNB Working Papers with number 175.
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
banking; financial stability; stress-tests; liquidity risk;
Other versions of this item:
- Jan Willem van den End, 2010. "Liquidity Stress-Tester: A Model for Stress-testing Banks' Liquidity Risk," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 56(1), pages 38-69, March.
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-05-31 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2008-05-31 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CFN-2008-05-31 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2008-05-31 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2008-05-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-RMG-2008-05-31 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Gianluigi Ferrucci & Hyun Song Shin, 2005.
"Liquidity risk and contagion,"
Bank of England working papers
264, Bank of England.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2007.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2033-2060, June.
- Charles Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2004.
"A model to analyse financial fragility,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24703, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Charles A.E. Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2003. "A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe13, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Charles A.E. Goodhart, 2003. "A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-FE-13, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Lea Zicchino & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Miguel Segoviano & Charles Goodhart & Oriol Aspachs Bracon, 2006.
"Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability,"
FMG Special Papers
sp167, Financial Markets Group.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & O. AspachsC. GoodhartM. SegovianoL. Zicchino, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- O. Aspachs & C. Goodhart & M. Segoviano & D. Tsomocos & L. Zicchino, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- von Peter, Goetz, 2009.
"Asset prices and banking distress: A macroeconomic approach,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 298-319, September.
- Goetz von Peter, 2004. "Asset prices and banking distress: a macroeconomic approach," BIS Working Papers 167, Bank for International Settlements.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 615-647, 04.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises," NBER Working Papers 8937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises," NBER Working Papers 10071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Boss & Gerald Krenn & Claus Puhr & Martin Summer, 2006. "Systemic Risk Monitor: A Model for Systemic Risk Analysis and Stress Testing of Banking Systems," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 11.
- Goetz von Peter, 2004. "Asset Prices and Banking Distress: A Macroeconomic Approach," Finance 0411034, EconWPA.
- Adrian, T. & Shin, H S., 2008. "Liquidity and financial contagion," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 11, pages 1-7, February.
- Francisco Nadal De Simone & Franco Stragiotti, 2010. "Market and Funding Liquidity Stress Testing of the Luxembourg Banking Sector," BCL working papers 45, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012.
"Stress-testing macro stress testing: does it live up to expectations?,"
BIS Working Papers
369, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Drehmann, Mathias & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 2014. "Stress-testing macro stress testing: Does it live up to expectations?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 12(C), pages 3-15.
- van den End, Jan Willem & Tabbae, Mostafa, 2012.
"When liquidity risk becomes a systemic issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 107-120.
- Jan Willem van den End & Mostafa Tabbae, 2009. "When liquidity risk becomes a macro-prudential issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour," DNB Working Papers 230, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Frank A.G. den Butter, 2010. "The Macroeconomics of the Credit Crisis: In Search of Externalities for Macro-Prudential Supervision," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-052/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Guy, Kester & Lowe, Shane, 2012. "Tracing the Liquidity Effects on Bank Stability in Barbados," MPRA Paper 52205, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Julian Llorent, Maria del Carmen Melgar, Jose Antonio Ordaz, Flor María Guerrero, 2013. "Stress Tests and Liquidity Crisis in the Banking System," Equilibrium, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 8, pages 31-43.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.