Knowledge-Capital, International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment: A Sectoral Analysis
AbstractThe knowledge-capital (KC) model of MNEs is now a widely adopted empirical approach to explaining the location and production decisions of global firms based on both horizontal and vertical motivations. While most of the existing studies have focused on highly aggregated national data, we extend this model to sectoral data consisting of broad manufacturing industries and explicitly account for the dynamic nature of international investment data. The empirical results from a dynamic panel data analysis indicate that that the predictions of the KC model regarding MNE behavior vary by the type of industry. Production processes in electronics and transportation-equipment are more characterized by efficient vertical specialization of R&D activities and assembly, while other sectors display more complex motivations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Delaware, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 10-11.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Purnell Hall, Newark, Delaware 19716
Phone: (302) 831-2565
Fax: (302) 831-6968
Web page: http://www.lerner.udel.edu/departments/economics/department-economics/
More information through EDIRC
FDI; knowledge-capital model; exports; GMM;
Other versions of this item:
- Titus O. Awokuse & Keith E. Maskus & Yiting An, 2012. "Knowledge Capital, International Trade, And Foreign Direct Investment: A Sectoral Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(3), pages 707-723, 07.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-09-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2010-09-11 (International Trade)
- NEP-KNM-2010-09-11 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ivanovic, Zoran & Baresa, Suzana & Bogdan, Sinisa, 2011. "Influence Of Fdi On Tourism In Croatia," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 2(1), pages 21-28.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Saul Hoffman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.