Mergers & Acquisitions and Innovation Performance in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry
AbstractThe telecommunications in the 1990s witnessed an enormous worldwide round of Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A). This paper examines the innovation determinants of M&A activity and the consequences of M&A transactions on the technological potential and the innovation performance. We examine the telecommunications equipment industry over the period 1988-2002 using a newly constructed data set with firm-level data describing M&A and innovation activity as well as financial characteristics. Based on a matching propensity score procedure, the study provides evidence that M&A realize significantly positive changes to the firm's post-merger innovation performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 728.
Length: 33 p.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Mergers & Acquisitions; Innovation Performance; Telecommunications Equipment Industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Tseveen Gantumur & Andreas Stephan, 2012. "Mergers & acquisitions and innovation performance in the telecommunications equipment industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 277-314, April.
- Gantumur, Tseveen & Stephan, Andreas, 2011. "Mergers & Acquisitions and Innovation Performance in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," JIBS Working Papers 2011-5, Jönköping International Business School.
- Gantumur, Tseveen & Stephan, Andreas, 2007. "Mergers & Acquisitions And Innovation Performance In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 111, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Tseveen Gantumur & Andreas Stephan, 2007. "Mergers & Acquisitions and Innovation Performance in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-051, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- L63 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Microelectronics; Computers; Communications Equipment
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-10-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-10-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2007-10-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2007-10-13 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-IND-2007-10-13 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2007-10-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2007-10-13 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2007-10-13 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Volodymyr Perederiy, 2007. "Kombinierte Liquiditäts- und Solvenzkennzahlen und ein darauf basierendes Insolvenzprognosemodell für deutsche GmbHs," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-060, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.