Terrorism and Trade
Abstractbilateral trade flows between more than 200 countries over the period from 1960 to 1993. Applying an augmented gravity model that includes several measures of terrorism and largescale violence, we find compelling evidence that terrorist actions reduce the volume of trade; a doubling in the number of terrorist incidents is associated with a decrease in bilateral trade by about 4 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 353.
Length: 13 p.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Terrorism; Conflict; Warfare; Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herschel I. Grossman, 2001.
"The Creation of Effective Property Rights,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 347-352, May.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Turvey, Calum G. & Onyango, Benjamin M. & Hallman, William K. & Condry, Sarah C., 2007. "Consumers' Perception of Food-System Vulnerability to an Agroterrorist Attack," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(3), November.
- Abdelbaki, Professor Hisham, 2013. "The Arab spring: do we need a new theory?," MPRA Paper 54801, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, .
"Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach,"
IEW - Working Papers
184, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-11, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1158, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Clements, Benedict & Bhattacharya, Rina & Chakravarti, Shamit, 2004. "Fiscal consequences of armed conflict and terrorism in low- and middle-income countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 403-421, June.
- Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta & Shamit Chakravarti & Rina Bhattacharya, 2002. "Fiscal Consequences of Armed Conflict and Terrorism in Low- and Middle-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger, . "Measuring Terrorism," IEW - Working Papers 171, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Amar Iqbal ANWAR & Mazhar Yasin MUGHAL, 2013. "Foreign Financial Flows and Terrorism in Developing Countries," Working Papers 2013-2014_1, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Sep 2013.
- Barnes, Paul & Oloruntoba, Richard, 2005. "Assurance of security in maritime supply chains: Conceptual issues of vulnerability and crisis management," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 519-540, December.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger, . "Terrorism: Deterrence May Backfire," IEW - Working Papers 136, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.