A Schumpeter-Inspired Approach to the Construction of R&D Capital Stocks
AbstractA new method for constructing R&D capital stocks is proposed. Following Schumpeter, the development of R&D capital stocks is modelled as a process of creative destruction. Newly generated knowledge is assumed not only to add to the existing R&D capital stocks but also, by displacing old knowledge, to destroy part of that capital. This is in stark contrast to the perpetual inventory method, which postulates a constant rate of depreciation. We compare both methods by estimating the impact of R&D and spillovers on output in OECD countries, and find that the new approach leads to more sensible and robust results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 300.
Length: 19 p.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
R&D capital stocks; knowledge spillovers; creative destruction;
Other versions of this item:
- Jurgen Bitzer & Andreas Stephan, 2007. "A Schumpeter-inspired approach to the construction of R&D capital stocks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 179-189.
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"The Search for R&D Spillovers,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 251-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Keller, 2001.
"The Geography and Channels of Diffusion at the World's Technology Frontier,"
NBER Working Papers
8150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2001. "The geography and channels of diffusion at the world's technology frontier," HWWA Discussion Papers 123, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1996. "Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Edmond, Chris, 2001. "Some Panel Cointegration Models of International R&D Spillovers," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 241-260, April.
- Vincenzo Atella & Beniamino Quintieri, 2001. "Do R&D expenditures really matter for TFP?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(11), pages 1385-1389.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1997.
"How trade patterns and technology flows affect productivity growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1831, The World Bank.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2000. "Do Trade Patterns and Technology Flows Affect Productivity Growth?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 17-47, January.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1999. "How Trade Patterns and Technology Flows Affect Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 6990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bart Verspagen, 1997. "Measuring Intersectoral Technology Spillovers: Estimates from the European and US Patent Office Databases," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 47-65.
- Boozer, Michael A., 1997. "Econometric Analysis of Panel Data Badi H. Baltagi Wiley, 1995," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 747-754, October.
- Bart Verspagen, 1997. "Estimating international technology spillovers using technology flow matrices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 226-248, 06.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kao, Chihwa & Chiang, Min-Hsien & Chen, Bangtian, 1999.
" International R&D Spillovers: An Application of Estimation and Inference in Panel Cointegration,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 691-709, Special I.
- Chihwa Kao & Min-Hsien Chiang & Bangtian Chen, 1999. "International R&D Spillovers: An Application of Estimation and Inference in Panel Cointegration," Center for Policy Research Working Papers, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University 4, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1998.
"Are international R&D spillovers trade-related?: Analyzing spillovers among randomly matched trade partners,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1469-1481, September.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," NBER Working Papers 6065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1996. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-related? Analyzing Spillovers among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," International Trade, EconWPA 9608002, EconWPA.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2001. "Building the Knowledge Stock: Lags, Depreciation and Uncertainty in Agricultural R&D," Working Papers 145, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Jürgen Bitzer, 2005. "Measuring Knowledge Stocks: A Process of Creative Destruction," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 379-393, 07.
- Zvi Griliches, 1958. "Research Costs and Social Returns: Hybrid Corn and Related Innovations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 419.
- Jungsoo Park, 2004. "International and Intersectoral R&D Spillovers in the OECD and East Asian Economies," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(4), pages 739-757, October.
- Nestor Terleckyj, 1980. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Industrial Research and Development on the Productivity Growth of Industries," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 357-386 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Mazeda Gil & Oscar Afonso, 2011.
"Technological-knowledge dynamics in lab-equipment models of quality ladders,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 333-336.
- Pedro Mazeda Gil & Óscar Afonso, 2008. "Technological-Knowledge Dynamics in Lab-Equipment Models of Quality Ladders," FEP Working Papers 283, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Leng Wong, Siang & Chia, Wai-Mun & Chang, Youngho, 2013. "Energy consumption and energy R&D in OECD: Perspectives from oil prices and economic growth," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 1581-1590.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Mohnen, Pierre, 2010.
"Measuring the Returns to R&D,"
MERIT Working Papers
006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Alexandre Almeida & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2007. "Does Patenting negatively impact on R&D investment?An international panel data assessment," FEP Working Papers 255, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Bastian Rake, 2013.
"Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited,"
DRUID Working Papers
13-03, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bastian Rake, 2012. "Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-018, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Wong, Siang Leng & Chang, Youngho & Chia, Wai-Mun, 2013. "Energy consumption, energy R&D and real GDP in OECD countries with and without oil reserves," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 51-60.
- Fabio Montobbio & Valerio Sterzi, 2008.
"Inventing Together: Exploring the Nature of International Knowledge Spillovers in Latin America,"
KITeS Working Papers
225, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2008.
- Fabio Montobbio & Valerio Sterzi, 2011. "Inventing together: exploring the nature of international knowledge spillovers in Latin America," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 53-89, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.