Bank Competition and Firm Growth in the Enlarged European Union
AbstractWe examine the impact of bank competition and institutional factors on net firm entry in a sample of European manufacturing industries over the 1995-2006 period. Taking into account industry differences in the need for external finance, we find that bank competition helps firm entry. In addition, better institutions - especially legal structure and property rights - also have a positive impact, particularly through a better functioning financial system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Working Paper / FINESS with number 5.1.
Length: 23 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
market structure; banks; market entry; manufacturing; financial development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar & David Thesmar, 2007.
"Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 597-628, 04.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette S & Thesmar, David, 2004. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," CEPR Discussion Papers 4488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark G. Guzman, 1999.
"Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model,"
9907, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Mark G. Guzman, 2000. "Bank structure, capital accumulation and growth: a simple macroeconomic model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 421-455.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip Strahan, 2004.
"Finance as a barrier to entry: bank competition and industry structure in local U.S. markets,"
Working Paper Series
WP-04-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2006. "Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 437-461, 02.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2004. "Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets," NBER Working Papers 10832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J.A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & P. Finnie, 2007. "The impact of market structure, contestability and institutional environment on banking competition," Working Papers 07-29, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.