Drivers of Private Equity Investment in CEE and Western European Countries
AbstractA strong private equity market is a cornerstone for commercialization and innovation in modern economies. However, substantial differences exist in the relative amounts raised and invested in private equity across European countries. We investigate the macro-determinants of private equity investment in Europe, focusing on the comparison between CEE and Western European countries. Our estimations are based on a data set running from 2001 to 2008 and covers 14 Western European and three CEE countries. Applying robust estimation techniques we identify a 'robust' set of determinants of private equity activity in both regions. We find similarities as well as differences in the driving forces of private equity investments in Western European and CEE countries. Our results suggest that commercial bank lending, equity market capitalization, unit labour costs and corporate tax rates are significant determinants of private equity activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Working Paper / FINESS with number 3.5.
Length: 25 p.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Private Equity; Venture Capital; Extreme Bounds Analysis; Central and Eastern Europe;
Other versions of this item:
- Kerstin Bernoth & Roberta Colavecchio & Magdolna Sass, 2010. "Drivers of Private Equity Investment in CEE and Western European Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1002, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2005.
"Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets,"
Working Paper Series
0430, European Central Bank.
- Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1699-1723, September.
- Marco Da Rin & Giovanna Nicodano & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "Public Policy and the Creation of Active Venture Capital Markets," Working Papers 270, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Da Rin, M. & Nicodano, G. & Sembenelli, A., 2006. "Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-192935, Tilburg University.
- Schertler, Andrea, 2003.
"Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis,"
EIFC - Technology and Finance Working Papers
27, United Nations University, Institute for New Technologies.
- Andrea Schertler, 2003. "Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1172, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Claudio Michelacci & Javier Suarez, 2000.
"Business Creation and the Stock Market,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0673, Econometric Society.
- Claudio Michelacci & Javier Suarez, 2004. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 459-481, 04.
- Claudio Michelacci & Javier Suarez, 2004. "Business Creation and the Stock Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 459-481.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ansgar Belke & Rainer Fehn & Neil Foster, 2003.
"Does Venture Capital Investment Spur Employment Growth?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
930, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ansgar Belke & Rainer Fehn & Neil Foster, 2003. "Does Venture Capital Investment Spur Employment Growth?," Vienna Economics Papers 0303, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Cumming, Douglas & Schmidt, Daniel & Walz, Uwe, 2010. "Legality and venture capital governance around the world," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 54-72, January.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004.
"The determinants of venture capital: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries,"
Working Papers CEB
04-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: A Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," IIR Working Paper 03-25, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I just ran four million regressions,"
Economics Working Papers
201, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jan- Sturm & Jakob de Haan, 2005. "Determinants of long-term growth: New results applying robust estimation and extreme bounds analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 597-617, October.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Rafael E. De Hoyos & Vasilis Sarafidis, 2006. "Testing for cross-sectional dependence in panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(4), pages 482-496, December.
- Judit Karsai & Mike Wright & Zbigniew Dudzinski & Jan Morovic, 1998. "Screening and valuing venture capital investments: evidence from Hungary, Poland and Slovakia," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 203-224, January.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991.
"A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
609, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Stefano Bonini & Senem Alkan, 2012. "The political and legal determinants of venture capital investments around the world," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 997-1016, November.
- Groh, Alexander P., 2009. "Private equity in emerging markets," IESE Research Papers D/779, IESE Business School.
- Ansgar Belke & Rainer Fehn & Neil Foster, 2003. "Does Venture Capital Investment Spur Employment Growth? - Further Evidence," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim 216/2003, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Judit Karsai, 2009. ""The End of the Golden Age" - The Developments of the Venture Capital and Private Equity Industry in Central and Eastern Europe," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0901, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Rainer Fehn & Thomas Fuchs, 2003. "Capital Market Institutions and Venture Capital: Do They Affect Unemployment and Labour Demand?," CESifo Working Paper Series 898, CESifo Group Munich.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999. "Property Rights, Finance, and Entrepreneurship," CESifo Working Paper Series 212, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1985. "Sensitivity Analyses Would Help," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 308-13, June.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Cumming, Douglas & Fleming, Grant & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2006. "Legality and venture capital exits," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 214-245, January.
- Tatiana Volkova & Marina Kuznetsova, 2012. "Modelling Of Criteria For The Feasibility Assessment Of Intellectual Products' Potential In The Venture Financing System," Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 8(1), pages 197-206.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.