Regional growth and development theories revisited
AbstractRegional economics has a long tradition in analytical research and policy modelling, with the aim to enhance our understanding of regional competitiveness conditions and of the emergence, persistence, and mitigation of spatial socio-economic disparities. Unequal regional development in our open economy has prompted a long-lasting debate on the validity and usefulness of economic growth theories in a regional context. This paper aims to review various contributions to regional growth theory and regional policy analysis. It addresses both established regional growth theories and modern growth theories based on, for example, endogenous growth concepts. The paper also broadens the discussion by drawing attention to the importance of network ramifications and environmental sustainability for regional development. It concludes with the formulation of an agenda for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0022.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Capello, R. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Regional growth and development theories revisited," Serie Research Memoranda 0022, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katharina Pijnenburg & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2011.
"Do Regions with Entrepreneurial Neighbors Perform Better?: A Spatial Econometric Approach for German Regions,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1103, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Katharina Pijnenburg & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2011. "Do Regions with Entrepreneurial Neighbors Perform Better? A Spatial Econometric Approach for German Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa11p58, European Regional Science Association.
- Holger Breinlich & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Jonathan R.W. Temple, 2013.
"Regional growth and regional decline,"
Economics Discussion Papers
729, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Breinlich, Holger & Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Temple, Jonathan, 2013. "Regional Growth and Regional Decline," CEPR Discussion Papers 9568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Breinlich & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Jonathan R. W. Temple, 2013. "Regional Growth and Regional Decline," CEP Discussion Papers dp1232, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Holger Breinlich & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Jonathan R. W. Temple, 2013. "Regional growth and regional decline," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51575, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- R. Basile & S. Usai, 2012. "Analysis of regional endogenous growth," Working Paper CRENoS 201211, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Ferhan Gezici & BurÃ§in Yazgı & Sinem Metin, 2013. "Analyzing the determinants of agglomeration for the manufacturing industry in Turkey," ERSA conference papers ersa13p808, European Regional Science Association.
- Nijkamp, P. & Zwetsloot, F. & Wal, S. van der, 2008.
"Regional gazelles and lions as creative creatures : a meta-multicriteria analysis of innovation and growth potentials of European regions,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nijkamp, P. & Zwetsloot, F. & Wal, S. van der, 2008. "Regional gazelles and lions as creative creatures : a meta-multicriteria analysis of innovation and growth potentials of European regions," Serie Research Memoranda 0018, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Robert J. Stimson, 2012. "Troubling Times-The GFC and its Implications for Regional Performance. Part One: The United States And Europe," Romanian Journal of Regional Science, Romanian Regional Science Association, vol. 6(2), pages 1-30, DECEMBER.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 2009. "Entrepreneurship, Development, and the Spatial Context Retrospect and Prospect," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Attila Varga & PÃ©ter JÃ¡rosi & TamÃ¡s SebestyÃ©n, 2011. "Modeling the growth effects of regional knowledge production: The GMR-Europe model and its applications for EU Framework Program policy impact simulations," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1426, European Regional Science Association.
- Timur Gareev, 2013. "The special economic zone in the Kaliningrad region: development tool or institutional trap?," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 111-127, December.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Peter Nijkamp, 2013. "A multi-region model of economic growth with human capital and negative externalities in innovation," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 909-924, September.
- Lengyel, Balázs & Iwasaki, Ichiro & Szanyi, Miklós, 2010. "Industry Cluster and Regional Economic Growth : Evidence from Hungary," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(2), pages 93-112, December.
- Sunggoan Choi, 2013. "Revealing the Growth Potentials with Input-Output Model at Sub-national Level," ERSA conference papers ersa13p73, European Regional Science Association.
- S. Longhi & P. Nijkamp & J. Poot, 2010. "Joint impacts of immigration on wages and employment: review and meta-analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 355-387, December.
- Hiroshi SAKAMOTO, 2012. "CGE Analysis of Transportation Cost and Regional Economy: East Asia and Northern Kyushu," Regional Science Inquiry, Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(1), pages 121-140, June.
- Ferhan Gezici, 2011. "Regional Disparities and the Performance of Peripheral Regions in Turkey," ERSA conference papers ersa11p147, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.