Strategic Performance Management and Creative Industry
AbstractThe creative industry has in recent years drawn much attention from the side of both scientists and policy-makers in the area of urban planning and industrial policy. The question is however, whether the assumed innovative and successful potential offered by firms in the creative industry is justified on economic and managerial grounds. The present paper aims to provide a critical review of the current creativeness fashion by addressing in particular the critical success factors and the high performance conditions of firms in this sector. On the basis of general principles from strategic performance measurement of business firms a systematic analysis for assessing the performance of creative firms is proposed. Specific attention is paid to the lessons from the strategic performance management literature for measuring the successes (and failures) of creative firms in modern innovative industries. This paper aims to offer the basis for a systematic framework for evaluating the competitive performance of firms in the creative industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0020.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kald, Magnus & Nilsson, Fredrik, 2000. "Performance measurement at Nordic companies," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-127, February.
- Mooraj, Stella & Oyon, Daniel & Hostettler, Didier, 1999. "The balanced scorecard: a necessary good or an unnecessary evil?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 481-491, October.
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Epstein, Marc & Manzoni, Jean-François, 1998. "Implementing corporate strategy:: From Tableaux de Bord to balanced scorecards," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 190-203, April.
- Allen J. Scott, 1997. "The Cultural Economy of Cities," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 323-339, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.