The Embeddedness of small enterprises to the rural local economy of small and medium sized towns
AbstractThis paper addresses the local-regional-supra-regional orientation of small-scale farms and firms in rural areas. Due attention is given to the role of local centres (villages, towns) for the functioning of rural areas. With help of a quantified indicator spatial linkages related to sales and purchases of small enterprises are shown. Furthermore the allocation of labour to the local economy is taken into account. The degree of embeddedness of small local firms in rural areas appears to be fairly strong, which means that they play a significant role in the local economy in several ways
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0021.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
local economy; rural areas; small enterprises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-07-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2005-07-11 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2005-07-11 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Courtney, Andrew Errington, 2000. "The Role of Small Towns in the Local Economy and Some Implications for Development Policy," Local Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 280-301, November.
- Natário, Maria Manuela & Almeida Couto, João Pedro & Couto de Sousa, Maura Helena, 2012. "Innovation Processes of SMEs in Less Favoured Municipalities of Portugal," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 22, pages 81-103.
- Gulumser, A.A. & Baycan Levent, T. & Nijkamp, P. & Poot, H.J., 2012. "The role of local and newcomer entrepreneurs in rural development: A comparative meta-analytic study," Serie Research Memoranda 0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Gülümser, A.A. & Baycan-Levent, T. & Nijkamp, P., 2009.
"Turkey’s rurality: A comparative analysis at the EU level,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0031, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Peter Nijkamp & Tuzin Baycan Levent & Aliye Ahu Gulumser, 2006. "Turkey's Rurality: A Comparative Analysis At the EU Level," ERSA conference papers ersa06p641, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.