Lessons from learning regions: policymaking in an evolutionary context
AbstractThis paper serves to clarify conditions that hamper the learning capability of regional (local) actors and to identify how this capability can be improved, given a number of distinct evolutionary constraints. First, we discuss policymaking in an evolutionary context. This is followed by an analysis of circumstances that hamper the design of Iearning policies by governments, including shortages in conceptualisation and empirical research of the learning region paradigm. The focus of the paper then moves to some broad lessons that can be drawn at the strategic level and at the project level for regional (urban) policymakers. Finally, the paper discusses the dilemma of incremental change versus system change - or co-evolution versus co-revolution - to improve the learning capability of regions or cities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0034.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
learning regions; policy design; learning capability;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2003-04-13 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2003-04-13 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristiano Antonelli & Michel Quere, 2002.
"The Governance of Interactive Learning within Innovation Systems,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(5-6), pages 1051-1063, May.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Quéré, Michel, 2002. "The Governance of Interactive Learning Within Innovation Systems," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200202, University of Turin.
- Sucháček, Jan & Malinovský, Jan, 2007. "Regional Development in Transitional Economies after 1989: Reformation or Deformation?," MPRA Paper 15025, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stanislav, Kološta & Ivan, Sokáč & Filip, Flaška & Mário, Hošala, 2008. "Analýza siete ŽP Group podľa vybraných oblastí skúmania Novej ekonomickej geografie a teórie učiacich sa regiónov," MPRA Paper 13977, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.