Economic policy instruments and sustainable water use
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to review the insights on the desirability and possibilities for using economic policy instruments to reach sustainable use of water. Special attention will be paid to the scope for price instruments and privatisation and liberalisation of the sector as these feature prominently in the current policy debate. For this aim, we will provide a stylized description of the water for market devoting attention to both the relevant characteristics of demand and supply, including market failures that require government intervention to regulate the market.Next, attention is shifted to the possibilities of influencing supply and demand such that the market for water satisfies basic sustainability criteria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0004.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Dalhuisen, Jasper M. & Groot, Henri L.F. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2001. "Economic policy instruments and sustainable water use," Serie Research Memoranda 0004, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2002-03-14 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-RES-2002-03-14 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dalhuisen, Jasper & Groot, Henri de & Nijkamp, Peter, 1999.
"The economics of water : a survey of issues,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0036, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Jasper M. Dalhuisen & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Henri L.F.M. de Groot & Peter Nijkamp, 2001. "Price and Income Elasticities of Residential Water Demand: Why Empirical Estimates differ," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-057/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.