Infrastructure, suprastructure and ecostructure : a portfolio of sustainable growth potentials
AbstractThis paper aims to offer a new perspective on the productivity enhancing impact of public capital. In contrast to the majority of the literature which addresses mainly infrastructure effects on national or regional growth, the present contribution argues that a much broader analytical viewpoint is needed which encapsulates also knowledge and research capital (suprastructure) and environmental capital (ecostructure). After a discussion of the state of the art and a critical overview of various caveats in a traditional approach, a new evaluation framework is presented. A qualitative test on the validity of the new approach is conducted by means of a comparative case study analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0051.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H40 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - General
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-03-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Industrial location and public infrastructure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- M van Geenhuizen & P Nijkamp, 1998. "Potentials for East - West integration: the case of foreign direct investment," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 16(1), pages 105-120, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Matilde Mas & Joaquin Maudos & Francisco Perez & Ezequiel Uriel, 1996.
"Infrastructures and Productivity in the Spanish Regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 641-649.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1995. "Infrastructures And Productivity In The Spanish Regions," Working Papers. Serie EC 1995-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 1998. "original: Spatial perspectives on new theories of economic growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 7-37.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1989. "Infrastructure and Regional Development: A Survey of Multiregional Economic Models," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 255-74.
- User:AlexPlante/sandbox in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.