Mainports and gateways in Europe: a comparative contrast analysis of Dutch and Finnish cases
AbstractThis paper addresses the design of an evaluation methodology for mainports and gateways as strategic nodal and multi-modal centres in an international transport network. After an exposition of the concepts of mainports and gateways, the attention will be focussed on the critical relevance of mainports and gateways for two distinct countries, viz. the Netherlands and Finland. The difference between the transport networks of these two countries -seen from a European perspective- will be highlighted. The Netherlands has two principal mainports, viz. Rotterdam harbour and Schiphol airport, while Finland has two gateways, viz. the Barents region and the Baltic region. Clearly, the transport-economic functions of these areas are different, depending on socio-economic, geographical and logistic differences between both countries. Therefore, a contrast analysis for a comparative strength-weakness investigation of these areas will be undertaken. This contrast analysis will be based on the Pentagon model encapsulating five critical (key) conditions for the attractiveness of these areas. The comparative contrast analysis will be based on a multicriteria analysis, in particular the so-called regime method. From the results of this analysis, policy guidelines on mainport and gateway strategies will be derived, in particular with a view on the European unification process as reflected inter alia in the Trans European Networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0020.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Other versions of this item:
- Rodenburg, Caroline & Nijkamp, Peter, 1998. "Mainports and gateways in Europe: a comparative contrast analysis of Dutch and Finnish cases," Serie Research Memoranda 0020, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- L90 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - General
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-03-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frybourg, Michel & Nijkamp, Peter, 1995.
"The need for an assessment in the emerging European Network Economy,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0045, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Frybourg, Michel & Nijkamp, Peter, 1995. "The need for an assessment in the emerging European Network Economy," Serie Research Memoranda 0045, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.