Infrastructure construction and entrepreneurial behaviour
AbstractTwo important ways to study the impact of infrastructure improvement on spatial economic development are various model approaches and entrepreneurial surveys. In this paper we concentrate on the second type: entrepreneurial surveys. The empirical results of three surveys are presented. Two surveys concern the impact of highway construction at the regional level, the third is oriented at the urban level. The questions of the three surveys overlapped each other to a large extent, so changes over time in the perception of the impact of transport infrastructure on the firm's well being can be measured. The surveys showed that the valuation of transport infrastructure by entrepreneurs is not only based on solid rational and objective reasons, like for instance transport costs. -Also subjective reasons - like image effects - are involved. There appears to be a reduction in the perceived impact of a transport infrastructure project over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0034.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- R42 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruinsma, F.R. & Rienstra, S.A. & Rietveld, P., 1995.
"Economic impacts of the construction of a transport corridor: a multi-level and multi-apprach case study for the construction of the A1 highway in the Netherlands,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0011, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Frank Bruinsma & Sytze Rienstra & Piet Rietveld, 1997. "Economic Impacts of the Construction of a Transport Corridor: A Multi-level and Multiapproach Case Study for the Construction of the A1 Highway in the Netherlands," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 391-402.
- Bruinsma, F. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P., 1990. "Regional economic transformation and social overhead investments," Serie Research Memoranda 0055, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bruinsma, F. & Pepping, G. & Rietveld, P., 1993. "Infrastructure and urban development : the case of the Amsterdam orbital motorway," Serie Research Memoranda 0019, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.