AbstractThis paper discusses the concept of 'externalities '. It starts with a brief discussion of market failures in the neoclassical economic framework. It then proceeds to a definition of externalities, thereby distinguishing external effects from other sorts of 'unpriced effects '. Finally, some attention is paid to the relation, and tension, between efficiency and equity impacts of externalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics in its series Serie Research Memoranda with number 0031.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.feweb.vu.nl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E13 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Neoclassical
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-1999-02-08 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TID-1999-02-08 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Tibor Scitovsky, 1954. "Two Concepts of External Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 143.
- Adar, Zvi & Griffin, James M., 1976. "Uncertainty and the choice of pollution control instruments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 178-188, October.
- Peskin, Henry M., 1988. "One more externality article," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 380-381, September.
- Johansson,Per-Olov, 1991. "An Introduction to Modern Welfare Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521356954, October.
- Oates, Wallace E., 1988. "And one more reply," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 384-385, September.
- Buchanan, James M & Tullock, Gordon, 1975. "Polluters' Profits and Political Response: Direct Controls Versus Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 139-47, March.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Freeman, A. III, 1984. "Depletable externalities and pigouvian taxation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 173-179, June.
- E T Verhoef, 1994. "Efficiency and equity in externalities: a partial equilibrium analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(3), pages 361-382, March.
- Bird, Peter J. W. N., 1987. "The transferability and depletability of externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 54-57, March.
- Harrison, Glenn W., 1993. "Environmentally sensitive industries and an emerging Mexico," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 109-126.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1976. "Optimal taxation : An introduction to the literature," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 37-54.
- Bird, Peter J. W. N., 1988. "One more externality article: Reply," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 382-383, September.
- Shibata, Hirofumi & Winrich, J Steven, 1983. "Control of Pollution when the Offended Defend Themselves," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(200), pages 425-37, November.
- Buchanan, James M, 1969. "External Diseconomies, Corrective Taxes, and Market Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 174-77, March.
- Mishan, E J, 1971. "The Postwar Literature on Externalities: An Interpretative Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, March.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (R. Dam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.