The Average Tree Permission Value for Games with a Permission Tree
AbstractIn the literature various models of games with restricted cooperation can be found. In those models, instead of allowing for all subsets of the set of players to form, it is assumed that the set of feasible coalitions is a proper subset of the power set of the set of players. In this paper we consider such sets of feasible coalitions that follow from a permission structure on the set of players, in which players need permission to cooperate with other players. We assume the permission structure to be an oriented tree. This means that there is one player at the top of the permission structure and for every other player there is a unique directed path from the top player to this player. We introduce a new solution for these games based on the idea of the Average Tree value for cycle-free communication graph games. We provide two axiomatizations for this new value and compare it with the conjunctive permission value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 13-023/II.
Date of creation: 24 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
TU game; restricted cooperation; permission structure; Shapley value; Average Tree value; axiomatization;
Other versions of this item:
- Brink, R. van den & Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2013. "The Average Tree Permission Value for Games with a Permission Tree," Discussion Paper 2013-001, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brink J.R. van den & Talman A.J.J. & Herings P.J.J. & Laan G. van der, 2013. "The average tree permission value for games with a permission tree," Research Memorandum 001, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabrielle Demange, 2004.
"On group stability in hierarchies and networks,"
- Gilles, Robert P & Owen, Guillermo & van den Brink, Rene, 1992.
"Games with Permission Structures: The Conjunctive Approach,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 277-93.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G. & Brink, J.R. van den, 1991. "Games with permission structures: The conjunctive approach," Discussion Paper 1991-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lei Li & Xueliang Li, 2011. "The covering values for acyclic digraph games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 697-718, November.
- René van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Vitaly Pruzhansky, 2004.
"Harsanyi Power Solutions for Graph-restricted Games,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-095/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- René Brink & Gerard Laan & Vitaly Pruzhansky, 2011. "Harsanyi power solutions for graph-restricted games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 87-110, February.
- René Brink & Ilya Katsev & Gerard Laan, 2011.
"Axiomatizations of two types of Shapley values for games on union closed systems,"
Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 175-188, May.
- Rene van den Brink & Ilya Katsev & Gerard van der Laan, 2009. "Axiomatizations of Two Types of Shapley Values for Games on Union Closed Systems," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-064/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ni, Debing & Wang, Yuntong, 2007. "Sharing a polluted river," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 176-186, July.
- HERINGS, P. Jean-Jacques & van der LAAN, Gerard & TALMAN, Dolf, .
"The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2155, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herings, P. Jean Jacques & van der Laan, Gerard & Talman, Dolf, 2008. "The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 77-92, January.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2008. "The average tree solution for cycle-free graph games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377604, Tilburg University.
- van den Brink, Rene & Gilles, Robert P., 1996. "Axiomatizations of the Conjunctive Permission Value for Games with Permission Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 113-126, January.
- Haller, Hans, 1994. "Collusion Properties of Values," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 261-81.
- Béal, Sylvain & Rémila, Eric & Solal, Philippe, 2010. "Rooted-tree solutions for tree games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 404-408, June.
- Graham, Daniel A & Marshall, Robert C & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1990. "Differential Payments within a Bidder Coalition and the Shapley Value," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 493-510, June.
- Faigle, U & Kern, W, 1992. "The Shapley Value for Cooperative Games under Precedence Constraints," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 249-66.
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2000.
"Tree-connected Peer Group Situations and Peer Group Games,"
2000-117, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2002. "Tree-connected peer group situations and peer group games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91321, Tilburg University.
- Baomin Dong & Debing Ni & Yuntong Wang, 2012.
"Sharing a Polluted River Network,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 53(3), pages 367-387, November.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Owen, G. & Tijs, S.H., 1992. "On the position value for communication situations," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154855, Tilburg University.
- S. C. Littlechild & G. Owen, 1973. "A Simple Expression for the Shapley Value in a Special Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 370-372, November.
- Béal, Sylvain & Lardon, Aymeric & Rémila, Eric & Solal, Philippe, 2011. "The Average Tree Solution for Multi-choice Forest Games," MPRA Paper 28739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.