Transformed Polynomials for Nonlinear Autoregressive Models of the Conditional Mean
AbstractThis paper proposes a new set of transformed polynomial functions that provide a flexible setting for nonlinear autoregressive modeling of the conditional mean while at the same time ensuring the strict stationarity, ergodicity, fading memory and existence of moments of the implied stochastic sequence. The great flexibility of the transformed polynomial functions makes them interesting for both parametric and semi-nonparametric autoregressive modeling. This flexibility is established by showing that transformed polynomial sieves are sup-norm-dense on the space of continuous functions and offer appropriate convergence speeds on Holder function spaces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 12-133/III.
Date of creation: 05 Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
time-series; nonlinear autoregressive models; semi-nonparametric models; method of sieves.;
Other versions of this item:
- Francisco Blasques, 2014. "Transformed Polynomials For Nonlinear Autoregressive Models Of The Conditional Mean," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3), pages 218-238, 05.
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-01-07 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terasvirta, Timo & Tjostheim, Dag & Granger, Clive W. J., 2010. "Modelling Nonlinear Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199587155, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.