Games with a Local Permission Structure: Separation of Authority and Value Generation
AbstractIt is known that peer group games are a special class of games with a permission structure. However, peer group games are also a special class of (weighted) digraph games. To be specific, they are digraph games in which the digraph is the transitive closure of a rooted tree. In this paper we first argue that some known results on solutions for peer group games hold more general for digraph games. Second, we generalize both digraph games as well as games with a permission structure into a model called games with a local permission structure, where every player needs permission from its predecessors only in order to generate worth, but does not need its predecessors in order to give permission to its own successors. We introduce and axiomatize a Shapley value type solution for these games, generalizing the conjunctive permission value for games with a permission structure and the beta-measure for weighted digraphs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 12-126/II.
Date of creation: 27 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Cooperative TU-game; peer group game; digraph game; game with a permission structure; local permission structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-12-15 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-12-15 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2002.
"Tree-connected peer group situations and peer group games,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91321, Tilburg University.
- Brânzei, R. & Fragnelli, V. & Tijs, S.H., 2000. "Tree-connected Peer Group Situations and Peer Group Games," Discussion Paper 2000-117, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brink, J.R. van den & Borm, P.E.M., 1994.
"Digraph competitions and cooperative games,"
1994-24, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Algaba, A. & Bilbao, J.M. & Brink, J.R. van den & Jiménez-Losada, A., 2001. "Axiomatizations of the Shapley Value for Cooperative Games on Antimatroids," Discussion Paper 2001-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Algaba, A. & Bilbao, J.M. & Brink, J.R. van den & Jiménez-Losada, A., 2000. "Cooperative Games on Antimatroids," Discussion Paper 2000-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- René van den Brink, 2002. "The apex power measure for directed networks," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 845-867.
- Valeri Vasil'ev & Gerard van der Laan, 2001. "The Harsanyi Set for Cooperative TU-Games," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-004/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gilles, Robert P & Owen, Guillermo & van den Brink, Rene, 1992.
"Games with Permission Structures: The Conjunctive Approach,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 277-93.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G. & Brink, J.R. van den, 1991. "Games with permission structures: The conjunctive approach," Discussion Paper 1991-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Maniquet, Francois, 2003.
"A characterization of the Shapley value in queueing problems,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 90-103, March.
- Maniquet, F., 2000. "A Characterization of the Shapley Value in Queueing Problems," Papers 222, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- E. Algaba & J.M. Bilbao & R. van den Brink & A. Jim�nez-Losada, 2002. "An Axiomatization of the Banzhaf Value for Cooperative Games on Antimatroids," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-110/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jean Derks & Hans Haller & Hans Peters, 2000.
"The selectope for cooperative games,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 23-38.
- Derks, Jean & Haller, Hans & Peters, Hans, 2000. "The selectope for cooperative games," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12221, Maastricht University.
- Curiel, I. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Veltman, B., 1994. "Sequencing and cooperation," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154192, Tilburg University.
- S. C. Littlechild & G. Owen, 1973. "A Simple Expression for the Shapley Value in a Special Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 370-372, November.
- Algaba, E. & Bilbao, J.M. & Borm, P.E.M. & Lopez, J.J., 1998.
"The position value for union stable systems,"
768, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Graham, Daniel A & Marshall, Robert C, 1987. "Collusive Bidder Behavior at Single-Object Second-Price and English Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1217-39, December.
- van den Brink, Rene & Gilles, Robert P., 1996. "Axiomatizations of the Conjunctive Permission Value for Games with Permission Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 113-126, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.