Stationarity and Ergodicity of Univariate Generalized Autoregressive Score Processes
AbstractWe characterize the dynamic properties of Generalized Autoregressive Score (GAS) processes by identifying regions of the parameter space that imply stationarity and ergodicity. We show how these regions are affected by the choice of parameterization and scaling, which are key features of GAS models compared to other observation driven models. The Dudley entropy integral is used to ensure the non-degeneracy of such regions. Furthermore, we show how to obtain bounds for these regions in models for time-varying means, variances, or higher-order moments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 12-059/4.
Date of creation: 22 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Dudley integral; Durations; Higher-order models; Nonlinear dynamics; Time-varying parameters; Volatility;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-08-23 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-08-23 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2013. "Generalized Autoregressive Score Models With Applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 777-795, 08.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002.
"Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2002fe04, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Dynamics of Trade-by-Trade Price Movements: Decomposition and Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 2-25.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," Economics Papers 2002-W1, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Tina Hviid Rydberg, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-FE-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas & Marcel Scharth, 2012. "Predicting Time-Varying Parameters with Parameter-Driven and Observation-Driven Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-020/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Xin Zhang & Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2011. "Modeling Dynamic Volatilities and Correlations under Skewness and Fat Tails," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-078/2/DSF22, Tinbergen Institute.
- Creal, Drew & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, AndrÃ©, 2011.
"A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 552-563.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andr� Lucas, 2010. "A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-032/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Pawel Janus & Siem Jan Koopman & Andr� Lucas, 2011. "Long Memory Dynamics for Multivariate Dependence under Heavy Tails," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-175/2/DSF28, Tinbergen Institute.
- Drew Creal & Bernd Schwaab & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2011. "Observation Driven Mixed-Measurement Dynamic Factor Models with an Application to Credit Risk," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-042/2/DSF16, Tinbergen Institute.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Robert Engle, 2002. "New frontiers for arch models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 425-446.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Jiangyu Ji & Andre Lucas, 2012. "A New Semiparametric Volatility Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-055/2/DSF35, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.