Share Functions for Cooperative Games with Levels Structure of Cooperation
AbstractIn a standard TU-game it is assumed that every subset of the player set can form a coalition and earn its worth. One of the first models where restrictions in cooperation are considered is the one of games with coalition structure. In such games the player set is partitioned into unions and players can only cooperate within their own union. Owen introduced a value for games with coalition structure under the assumption that also the unions can cooperate among them. Winter extended this value to games with levels structure of cooperation, which consists of a game and a finite sequence of partitions defined on the player set, each of them being coarser than the previous one. A share function for TU-games is a type of solution that assigns to every game a vector whose components add up to one, and thus they can be interpreted as players' shares in the worth to be allocated. Extending the approach to games with coalition structure developed by van den Brink and van der Laan (2005), we introduce a class of share functions for games with levels structure of cooperation by defining, for each player and each level, a standard TU-game. The share given to each player is then defined as the product of her shares in the games at every level. We show several desirable properties and provide axiomatic characterizations of this class of LS-share functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 12-052/1.
Date of creation: 11 May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
cooperative game; Shapley value; coalition structure; share functions; levels structure of cooperation;
Other versions of this item:
- Álvarez-Mozos, M. & van den Brink, R. & van der Laan, G. & Tejada, O., 2013. "Share functions for cooperative games with levels structure of cooperation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(1), pages 167-179.
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-08-23 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-08-23 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerard van der Laan & René van den Brink, 2002.
"A Banzhaf share function for cooperative games in coalition structure,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 61-86, August.
- Laan, G. van der & Brink, J.R. van den, 1998. "A Banzhaf share function for cooperative games in coalition structure," Discussion Paper 1998-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- M. Albizuri & Jesus Aurrekoetxea, 2006. "Coalition Configurations and the Banzhaf Index," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 571-596, June.
- Pekec, Aleksandar, 2001. "Meaningful and meaningless solutions for cooperative n-person games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 608-623, September.
- Sébastien Courtin, 2011. "Power in the European Union: an evaluation according to a priori relations between states," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 534-545.
- Albizuri, M.J. & Aurrecoechea, J. & Zarzuelo, J.M., 2006. "Configuration values: Extensions of the coalitional Owen value," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-17, October.
- René van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan, 2001.
"A Class of Consistent Share Functions for Games in Coalition Structure,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-044/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- van den Brink, Rene & van der Laan, Gerard, 2005. "A class of consistent share functions for games in coalition structure," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 193-212, April.
- Brink, J.R. van den & Laan, G. van der, 2001. "A Class of Consistent Share Functions For Games in Coalition Structure," Discussion Paper 2001-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gerard van der Laan & René van den Brink, 1998. "Axiomatization of a class of share functions for n-person games," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 117-148, April.
- Winter, Eyal, 1989. "A Value for Cooperative Games with Levels Structure of Cooperation," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 227-40.
- (*), Gerard van der Laan & RenÊ van den Brink, 1998. "Axiomatizations of the normalized Banzhaf value and the Shapley value," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 567-582.
- Brink, J.R. van den & Laan, G. van der, 1998. "The normalized Banzhaf value and the Banzhaf share function," Research Memorandum 764, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.