Economic Impacts of Cultural Diversity in the Netherlands: Productivity, Utility, and Sorting
AbstractThis paper identifies the role of cultural diversity in explaining spatial disparities in wages and housing prices across Dutch cities, using unique individual panel data of home owners. We distinguish between the effects of interactions-based productivity, consumption amenities and sorting of heterogeneous home owners while controlling for interactions between the labor and housing market. We find that an increase in the cultural diversity of the population positively impacts equilibrium wages and housing prices, particularly in the largest and most densely populated cities. This result is largely driven by spatial sorting of individuals in both the labor and housing market. After controlling for home owner heterogeneity we find that increasing cultural diversity no longer impacts local labor markets and negatively impacts local housing markets. The latter result is likely to be driven by a negative causal effect of increased cultural diversity on neighb orhood quality that outweighs a positive effect of increased cultural diversity in consumption goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 12-024/3.
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
cultural diversity; immigrants; local amenities; sorting; housing prices; productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Jessie Bakens & Peter Mulder & Peter Nijkamp, 2013. "Economic Impacts Of Cultural Diversity In The Netherlands: Productivity, Utility, And Sorting," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 8-36, 02.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2012-04-03 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-04-03 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GEO-2012-04-03 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MIG-2012-04-03 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-URE-2012-04-03 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neil Lee, 2013. "Cultural Diversity, Cities and Innovation: firm Effects or City Effects?," SERC Discussion Papers 0144, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Dr Max Nathan, 2013. "The Wider Economic Impacts Of High-Skilled Migrants: A Survey Of The Literature," NIESR Discussion Papers 11607, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Accetturo, Antonio & Manaresi, Francesco & Mocetti, Sauro & Olivieri, Elisabetta, 2014.
"Don't stand so close to me: The urban impact of immigration,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 45-56.
- Antonio Accetturo & Francesco Manaresi & Sauro Mocetti & Elisabetta Olivieri, 2012. "Don't stand so close to me: the urban impact of immigration," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 866, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2013. "New Frontiers Of Immigration Research: Cities And Firms," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-7, 02.
- Longhi, Simonetta, 2013. "Impact of cultural diversity on wages, evidence from panel data," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 797-807.
- Thomas Kemeny, 2013. "Immigrant Diversity and Economic Development in Cities: A Critical Review," SERC Discussion Papers 0149, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Zhiling Wang & Thomas de Graaff & and Peter Nijkamp, 2014. "Cultural Diversity and Cultural Distance as Choice Determinants of Migration Destination," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 14-066/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.