Conditional Probabilities and Contagion Measures for Euro Area Sovereign Default Risk
AbstractWe propose a novel empirical framework to assess the likelihood of joint and conditional failure for Euro area sovereigns. Our model is based on a dynamic skewed-t copulawhich captures all the salient features of the data, including skewed and heavy-tailed changes in the price of CDS protection against sovereign default, as well as dynamicvolatilities and correlations to ensure that failure dependence can increase in times of stress. We apply the framework to Euro area sovereign CDS spreads from 2008 tomid-2011. Our results reveal significant time-variation in risk dependence and considerable spill-over effects in the likelihood of sovereign failures. We also investigatedistress dependence around a key policy announcement by Euro area heads of state on May 9, 2010, and demonstrate the importance of capturing higher-order time-varyingmoments during times of crisis for the correct assessment of interacting risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 11-176/2/DSF29.
Date of creation: 13 Dec 2011
Date of revision: 28 Jun 2012
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
sovereign credit risk; higher order moments; time-varying parameters; financial stability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-12-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2011-12-19 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Renzo G. Avesani & Jing Li & Antonio Garcia Pascual, 2006. "A New Risk Indicator and Stress Testing Tool: A Multifactor Nth-to-Default CDS Basket," IMF Working Papers 06/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Creal, Drew & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, AndrÃ©, 2011.
"A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 552-563.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andr� Lucas, 2010. "A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-032/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2013. "Generalized Autoregressive Score Models With Applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 777-795, 08.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009.
"A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2009-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2036-2049, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A Framework for Assessing the Systemic Risk of Major Financial Institutions," BIS Working Papers 281, Bank for International Settlements.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements," NBER Working Papers 7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Federico Sturzenegger, 2005.
"Haircuts: Estimating Investor Losses in Sovereign Debt Restructurings, 1998-2005,"
IMF Working Papers
05/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Sturzenegger, Federico & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2008. "Haircuts: Estimating investor losses in sovereign debt restructurings, 1998-2005," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 780-805, September.
- Xin Zhang & Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2011. "Modeling Dynamic Volatilities and Correlations under Skewness and Fat Tails," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-078/2/DSF22, Tinbergen Institute.
- D'Agostino, Antonello & Ehrmann, Michael, 2013.
"The pricing of G7 sovereign bond spreads: the times, they are a-changin,"
Working Paper Series
1520, European Central Bank.
- D'Agostino, Antonello & Ehrmann, Michael, 2012. "The pricing of G7 sovereign bond spreads – the times, they are a-changin," MPRA Paper 40604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alter, Adrian & Beyer, Andreas, 2012. "The dynamics of spillover effects during the European sovereign debt turmoil," CFS Working Paper Series 2012/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Alter, Adrian & Beyer, Andreas, 2013. "The dynamics of spillover effects during the European sovereign debt crisis," Working Paper Series 1558, European Central Bank.
- Xisong Jin & Francisco Nadal De Simone, 2013. "Banking Systemic Vulnerabilities: A Tail-risk Dynamic CIMDO Approach," BCL working papers 82, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Jan Willem van den End & Marco Hoeberichts, 2012. "The interaction between the central bank and government in tail risk scenarios," DNB Working Papers 352, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Tola, Albi & Wälti, Sébastien, 2012. "Deciphering financial contagion in the euro area during the crisis," MPRA Paper 49251, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.