Modeling Dynamic Volatilities and Correlations under Skewness and Fat Tails
AbstractWe propose a new model for dynamic volatilities and correlations of skewed and heavy-tailed data. Our model endows the Generalized Hyperbolic distribution with time-varying parameters driven by the score of the observation density function. The key novelty in our approach is the fact that the skewed and fat-tailed shape of the distribution directly affects the dynamic behavior of the time-varying parameters. It distinguishes our approach from familiar alternatives such as the generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity model and the dynamic conditional correlation model where distributional assumptions affect the likelihood but not the parameter dynamics. We present a modified expectation-maximization algorithm to estimate the model. Simulated and empirical evidence shows that the model outperforms its close competitors if skewness and kurtosis are relevant features of the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 11-078/2/DSF22.
Date of creation: 13 May 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Dynamic conditional correlations; Generalized Hyperbolic distributions; Observation driven models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2010.
"A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-032/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Creal, Drew & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, AndrÃ©, 2011. "A Dynamic Multivariate Heavy-Tailed Model for Time-Varying Volatilities and Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 552-563.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2008.
"A General Framework for Observation Driven Time-Varying Parameter Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-108/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2009. "A General Framework for Observation Driven Time-Varying Parameter Models," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-038, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005.
"A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LOGMVSKEWT: RATS procedure to compute function for log density of multivariate skew-t distribution," Statistical Software Components RTS00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp502, Financial Markets Group.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2005. "Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalized Hyperbolic Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 5177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation And Testing Of Dynamic Models With Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," Working Papers wp2004_0411, CEMFI.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Foster, Dean P, 1994.
"Asymptotic Filtering Theory for Univariate ARCH Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 1-41, January.
- Daniel B. Nelson & Dean P. Foster, 1994. "Asypmtotic Filtering Theory for Univariate Arch Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boswijk, H.P. & Weide, R. van der, 2006.
"Wake me up before you GO-GARCH,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
06-13, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Asai, Manabu & McAleer, Michael, 2009. "The structure of dynamic correlations in multivariate stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 182-192, June.
- Francisco Blasques & Siem Jan Koopman & Andre Lucas, 2012. "Stationarity and Ergodicity of Univariate Generalized Autoregressive Score Processes," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-059/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Xin Zhang & Bernd Schwaab & Andre Lucas, 2011. "Conditional Probabilities and Contagion Measures for Euro Area Sovereign Default Risk," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-176/2/DSF29, Tinbergen Institute, revised 28 Jun 2012.
- Harvey, A. & Sucarrat, G., 2012. "EGARCH models with fat tails, skewness and leverage," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1236, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (webmaster-tinbergen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.