A Bayesian Analysis of Unobserved Component Models using Ox
AbstractEstimation of the volatility of time series has taken off since the introduction of the GARCH and stochastic volatility models. While variants of the GARCH model are applied in scores of articles, use of the stochastic volatility model is less widespread. In this articleit is argued that one reason for this difference is the relative difficulty of estimating the unobserved stochastic volatility, and the varying approaches that have been taken for such estimation.In order to simplify the comprehension of these estimation methods, the main methods for estimating stochastic volatility are discussed, with focus on their commonalities. In this manner, the advantages of each method are investigated, resulting in a comparisonof the methods for their efficiency, difficulty-of-implementation, and precision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 11-048/4.
Date of creation: 03 Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Stochastic volatility; estimation; methodology;
Other versions of this item:
- Charles S. Bos, . "A Bayesian Analysis of Unobserved Component Models Using Ox," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 41(i13).
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques J. F. Commandeur & Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms, . "Statistical Software for State Space Methods," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 41(i01).
- Bauwens, Luc & Lubrano, Michel & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2000. "Bayesian Inference in Dynamic Econometric Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773139.
- Nima Nonejad, 2013. "Particle Markov Chain Monte Carlo Techniques of Unobserved Component Time Series Models Using Ox," CREATES Research Papers 2013-27, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.