Unobserved Heterogeneity and Risk in Wage Variance: Does Schooling provide Earnings Insurance?
AbstractWe apply a recently proposed method to disentangle unobserved heterogeneity from risk in returns to education. We replicate the original study on US men and extend to US women, UK men and German men. Most original results are not robust. A college education cannot universally be considered an insurance against unpredictability of wages. One conclusion is unequivocally confirmed: uncertainty strongly dominates unobserved heterogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 11-045/3.
Date of creation: 22 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
wage inequality; wage uncertainty; unobserved heterogeneity; selectivity; education; replication;
Other versions of this item:
- Mazza, Jacopo & van Ophem, Hans & Hartog, Joop, 2011. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and Risk in Wage Variance: Does Schooling Provide Earnings Insurance?," IZA Discussion Papers 5531, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kässi, Otto, 2012.
"Uncertainty and Heterogeneity in Returns to Education: Evidence from Finland,"
43503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kässi, Otto, 2012. "Uncertainty and Heterogeneity in Returns to Education: Evidence from Finland," MPRA Paper 48738, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Aug 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.