Exchange Rate Policy under Sovereign Default Risk
AbstractWe examine monetary policy options for a small open economy where sovereign default might occur due to intertemporal insolvency. Under interest rate policy and floating exchange rates the equilibrium is indetermined. Under a fixed exchange rate the equilibrium is uniquely determined and independent of sovereign default.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 11-027/2.
Date of creation: 11 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Exchange rate peg; interest rate policy; equilibrium determination; sovereign default; public debt;
Other versions of this item:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-02-26 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2011-02-26 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-02-26 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A, 1994. "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 381-99.
- Daniel, Betty C., 2001. "The fiscal theory of the price level in an open economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 293-308, October.
- Uribe, Martín, 2002.
"A fiscal theory of sovereign risk,"
Working Paper Series
0187, European Central Bank.
- Schabert, Andreas, 2010.
"Monetary policy under a fiscal theory of sovereign default,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 860-868, March.
- Andreas Schabert, 2009. "Monetary Policy under a Fiscal Theory of Sovereign Default," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-093/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Anastasia Guscina & Olivier Jeanne, 2006. "Government Debt in Emerging Market Countries: A New Data Set," IMF Working Papers 06/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 345-80.
- Schabert, Andreas, 2011.
"Exchange rate policy under sovereign default risk,"
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 179-181, August.
- Andreas Schabert, 2011.
"Exchange Rate Policy under Sovereign Default Risk,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-027/2, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.