Price Competition on Graphs
AbstractThis paper extends Hotelling's model of price competition with quadratic transportation costs from a line to graphs. I propose an algorithm to calculate firm-level demand for anygiven graph, conditional on prices and firm locations. These graph models of price competitionmay lead to spatial discontinuities in firm-level demand. I show that the existence resultof D'Aspremont et al. (1979) does not extend to simple star graphs and I conjecture thatthis non-existence result holds more generally for all graph models with two or more firmsthat cannot be reduced to a line or circle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 10-126/1.
Date of creation: 13 Dec 2010
Date of revision: 11 Aug 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
spatial competition; Hotelling; graphs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-12-23 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2010-12-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2010-12-23 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2010-12-23 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2010-12-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1991. "Monopolistic Competition on the Pyramid," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 355-68, June.
- de Roos, Nicolas, 2012. "Static models of the Edgeworth cycle," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 881-882.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.