Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis
AbstractMost stock exchange regulators around the world reacted to the 2007-2009 crisis by
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 10-106/2/DSF 1.
Date of creation: 19 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
short selling; ban; crisis; liquidity; price discovery;
Other versions of this item:
- Beber, Alessandro & Pagano, Marco, 2009. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2009. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," CSEF Working Papers 241, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 03 Sep 2011.
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2010-10-30 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MST-2010-10-30 (Market Microstructure)
- NEP-REG-2010-10-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro A. C. Saffi & Kari Sigurdsson, 2011.
"Price Efficiency and Short Selling,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(3), pages 821-852.
- Michael Halling & Marco Pagano & Otto Randl & Josef Zechner, 2004. "Where is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings in the U.S," CSEF Working Papers 129, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2006.
- Seraina GRUENEWALD & Alexander F. WAGNER & Rolf H. WEBER, . "Short Selling Regulation after the Financial Crisis – First Principles Revisited," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-28, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Halling, Michael & Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Zechner, Josef, 2005. "Where is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings," CEPR Discussion Papers 4987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Interesting readings
by Ajay Shah in Ajay Shah's blog on 2009-11-20 20:47:00
- Interesting Readings for November 23, 2009
by Ajay Shah in Citizen Economists on 2009-11-23 15:32:02
- Sascha Füllbrunn & Tibor Neugebauer, 2012. "Margin Trading Bans in Experimental Asset Markets," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-058, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Astrid Herinckx & Ariane Szafarz, 2013.
"Which Short-Selling Regulation is the Least Damaging to Market Efficiency? Evidence from Europe,"
Working Papers CEB
13-001, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Astrid Herinckx & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "Which Short-Selling Regulation is the Least Damaging to Market Efficiency? Evidence from Europe," Working Papers CEB 12-002, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert Battalio & Hamid Mehran & Paul Schultz, 2011. "Market declines: Is banning short selling the solution?," Staff Reports 518, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lensberg, Terje & Schenk-Hoppé, Klaus Reiner & Ladley, Dan, 2012. "Costs and Benefits of Speculation," Discussion Papers 2012/12, Department of Finance and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Óscar Arce & Sergio Mayordomo, 2012. "Short Sales Constraints and Financial Stability: Evidence from the Spanish 2011 Ban," Faculty Working Papers 25/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Rodrigo De-Losso & Alan De Genaro, Bruno C. Giovannetti, 2012. "Testing the Effects of Short-Selling Restrictions on Asset Prices," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_18, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (webmaster-tinbergen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.