Travel Time Variability and Airport Accessibility
AbstractThis paper analyses the cost of access travel time variability for air travelers. Reliable access to airports is important since it is likely that the cost of missing a flight is high. First, the determinants of the preferred arrival times at airports are analyzed, including trip purpose, type of airport, flight characteristics, travel experience, type of check-in, need to check-in luggage. Second, the willingness to pay (WTP) for reduction in access travel time, early and late arrival time at the airport, and the probability to miss a flight is estimated using a stated choice experiment. The results indicate that the WTPs are relatively high, which is partially due to the low cost sensitivity of air travelers. Third, a model is developed to calculate the cost of variable travel times for air travelers going by car, taking into account travel time cost, scheduling cost and the cost of missing a flight. In this model, the value of reliability for air travelers is derived taking 'anticipating departure time choice' into account. Results of the numerical exercise show that the cost of access travel time variability for business travelers are between 3-36% of total access travel cost, and for non-business travelers between 3-30%. These numbers depend strongly on the time of the day.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 10-061/3.
Date of creation: 23 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
value of reliability; scheduling; travel time variability; airport accessibility; airport choice;
Other versions of this item:
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-02-26 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-URE-2011-02-26 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefanie Peer & Carl Koopmans & Erik T. Verhoef, 2010. "Predicting Travel Time Variability for Cost-Benefit Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-071/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Paul Koster & Erik T. Verhoef, 2012.
"A Rank-dependent Scheduling Model,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 46(1), pages 123-138, January.
- Fosgerau, M. & Bierlaire, M., 2009. "Discrete choice models with multiplicative error terms," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 494-505, June.
- Ishii, Jun & Jun, Sunyoung & Van Dender, Kurt, 2009.
"Air travel choices in multi-airport markets,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 216-227, March.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, April.
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Fosgerau, Mogens & Engelson, Leonid, 2011.
"The value of travel time variance,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Fosgerau, Mogens, 2010.
"On the relation between the mean and variance of delay in dynamic queues with random capacity and demand,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 598-603, April.
- Fosgerau, Mogens, 2008. "On the relation between the mean and variance of delay in dynamic queues with random capacity and demand," MPRA Paper 11994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004.
"Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings,"
- Fosgerau, Mogens, 2006. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 688-707, September.
- Mogens Fosgerau, 2004. "Investigating the distribution of the value of travel time savings," Urban/Regional 0410005, EconWPA, revised 25 Nov 2004.
- Dresner, Martin, 2006. "Leisure versus business passengers: Similarities, differences, and implications," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 28-32.
- van Lint, J.W.C. & van Zuylen, Henk J. & Tu, H., 2008. "Travel time unreliability on freeways: Why measures based on variance tell only half the story," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 258-277, January.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Access to and competition between airports: a case study for the San Francisco Bay area," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-83, January.
- Li, Zheng & Hensher, David A. & Rose, John M., 2010. "Willingness to pay for travel time reliability in passenger transport: A review and some new empirical evidence," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 384-403, May.
- Lijesen, Mark G., 2006. "A mixed logit based valuation of frequency in civil aviation from SP-data," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 82-94, March.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2013056 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gubins, Sergejs & Verhoef, Erik T. & de Graaff, Thomas, 2012.
"Welfare effects of road pricing and traffic information under alternative ownership regimes,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1304-1317.
- Sergejs Gubins & Erik T. Verhoef & Thomas de Graaff, 2010. "Welfare Effects of Road Pricing and Traffic Information under Alternative Ownership Regimes," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-091/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tim Ryley & Jaafar Elmirghani & Tom Budd & Chikage Miyoshi & Keith Mason & Richard Moxon & Imad Ahmed & Bilal Qazi & Alberto Zanni, 2013. "Sustainable Development and Airport Surface Access: The Role of Technological Innovation and Behavioral Change," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(4), pages 1617-1631, April.
- Jorge Valido & M. Pilar Socorro & Francesca Medda, 2013. "DYPES: Vertical differentiation, schedule delay and entry deterrence: Low cost vs. full service airlines," Working Papers 2013-05, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.