Corporate Governance and Leverage: Evidence from a Natural Experiment
AbstractThis discussion paper led to a publication in Finance Research Letters , 7(2), 127-34. We argue that the recent corporate governance reform in the Netherlands provides a natural experiment to explore the impact of changes in corporate governance on financing policy. We find that, relative to a control sample of comparable firms outside the Netherlands, Dutch firms significantly reduced their leverage following the passage of the reform. Our findings are consistent with the view that corporate governance improvements reduce the value of debt as a disciplining device.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 10-019/2.
Date of creation: 05 Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Corporate Governance; Corporate Leverage; Financing Policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Arping, Stefan & Sautner, Zacharias, 2010. "Corporate governance and leverage: Evidence from a natural experiment," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-134, June.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murillo Campello & Dirk Hackbarth, 2012.
"The Firm-Level Credit Multiplier,"
NBER Working Papers
17805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 1998.
"Empirical Strategies in Labor Economics,"
780, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Zwiebel, Jeffrey, 1996. "Dynamic Capital Structure under Managerial Entrenchment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1197-1215, December.
- Dirk Akkermans & Hans van Ees & Niels Hermes & Reggy Hooghiemstra & Gerwin Van der Laan & Theo Postma & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2007. "Corporate Governance in the Netherlands: an overview of the application of the Tabaksblat Code in 2004," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1106-1118, November.
- Myers, Stewart C., 2003. "Financing of corporations," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 215-253 Elsevier.
- Wald, John K. & Long, Michael S., 2007. "The effect of state laws on capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 297-319, February.
- Gerald T. Garvey & Gordon Hanka, 1999. "Capital Structure and Corporate Control: The Effect of Antitakeover Statutes on Firm Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 519-546, 04.
- Huang, Rocco, 2007.
"Evaluating the real effect of bank branching deregulation: comparing contiguous counties across U.S. state borders,"
Working Paper Series
0788, European Central Bank.
- Huang, Rocco R., 2008. "Evaluating the real effect of bank branching deregulation: Comparing contiguous counties across US state borders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 678-705, March.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Schoar, Antoinette S & Thesmar, David, 2004.
"Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marianne Bertrand & Antoinette Schoar & David Thesmar, 2007. "Banking Deregulation and Industry Structure: Evidence from the French Banking Reforms of 1985," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 597-628, 04.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1990. "Managerial discretion and optimal financing policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-27, July.
- Thomas O'Connor & Thomas Flavin, 2013.
"The Effects of Ownership Structure on Corporate Financing Decisions: Evidence from Stock Market Liberalization,"
International Review of Finance,
International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 383-405, 09.
- Thomas Flavin & Thomas O'Connor, 2013. "The effects of ownership structure on corporate financing decisions: Evidence from stock market liberalization," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n235-13.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.