Embeddedness of Entrepreneurs in Rural Areas: A Comparative Rough Set Data Analysis
AbstractThis study aims to identify the critical factor(s) that determine the embeddedness level (EL) of rural entrepreneurs. In order to achieve this aim, existing applied studies on the embeddedness of entrepreneurs undertaken in different rural areas were systematically collected to create a database in order to provide the material for a systematic comparative analysis. This was done in order to highlight common and contrasting findings from a set of selected studies for different ELs. As many results of these studies were largely qualitative in nature and only partially comparable, a specific tool for analysing categorical data based on artificial intelligence methods, viz. rough set data analysis (RSDA), was employed. This experimental study is the first RSDA approach that compares the results of several rural case studies and infers general induction rules for the different ELs. The results of our analysis show that using and benefiting from local resources are the key factors that explain how entrepreneurs become embedded in rural areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 09-058/3.
Date of creation: 16 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
rural development; rural entrepreneurship; embeddedness; rough set data analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Aliye Ahu Akgün & Peter Nijkamp & Tüzin Baycan & Martijn Brons, 2010. "Embeddedness Of Entrepreneurs In Rural Areas: A Comparative Rough Set Data Analysis," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 101(5), pages 538-553, December.
- Q19 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Other
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-09-11 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2009-09-11 (Entrepreneurship)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Lúcia Pato & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "Twenty years of rural entrepreneurship: a bibliometric survey," FEP Working Papers 516, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.