Have Euro Area Government Bond Risk Premia Converged To Their Common State?
AbstractWe derive a model in which a standard international capital asset pricing (ICAPM) model is nested within an ICAPM model with market imperfections. In the latter model an idiosyncratic stochastic factor affects the return of risky assets (over a risk-free rate) on top of the systematic component that is common to all countries (and that is interacted with a timevarying idiosyncratic “beta”). We introduce asymptotic convergence from the full ICAPM model with imperfections to the standard model by multiplying the idiosyncratic factor by convergence operators. The model is then estimated using the weekly 10 year government bond spreads of Belgium, France, Italy, and the Netherlands versus Germany over the period 1991-2006. We find that the idiosyncratic components have converged towards zero for all countries after the introduction of the euro implying that the efficiency of the euro area government bond markets under consideration has increased. Full convergence has not yet occurred however.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 08-042/2.
Date of creation: 18 Apr 2008
Date of revision: 07 Sep 2009
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Government bonds; euro area; interest rate spreads; state space methods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-04-29 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2008-04-29 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-04-29 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dimitris A. Georgoutsos & Petros Migiakis, 2012.
"Heterogeneity of the determinants of euro-area sovereign bond spreads; what does it tell us about financial stability?,"
143, Bank of Greece.
- Georgoutsos, Dimitris A. & Migiakis, Petros M., 2013. "Heterogeneity of the determinants of euro-area sovereign bond spreads; what does it tell us about financial stability?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4650-4664.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.