Examining the Nelson-Siegel Class of Term Structure Models
AbstractIn this paper I examine various extensions of the Nelson and Siegel (1987) model with the purpose of fitting and forecasting the term structure of interest rates. As expected, I find that using more flexible models leads to a better in-sample fit of the term structure. However, I show that the out-of-sample predictability improves as well. The four-factor model, which adds a second slope factor to the three-factor Nelson-Siegel model, forecasts particularly well. Especially with a one-step state-space estimation approach the four-factor model produces accurate forecasts and outperforms competitor models across maturities and forecast horizons. Subsample analysis shows that this outperformance is also consistent over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 07-043/4.
Date of creation: 11 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
Term structure of interest rates; Nelson-Siegel; Svensson; Forecasting; State-space model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2007-06-23 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2007-06-23 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-06-23 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniel Vela, 2013. "Forecasting Latin-American yield curves: An artificial neural network approach," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 010502, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gabriela Galati & Steven Poelhekke & Chen Zhou, 2011.
"Did the Crisis Affect Inflation Expectations?,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(1), pages 167-207, March.
- Cem Çakmakli, 2012. "Bayesian Semiparametric Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Model," Working Paper Series 59_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Sep 2012.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2009.
"An arbitrage-free generalized Nelson--Siegel term structure model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(3), pages C33-C64, November.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008. "An arbitrage-free generalized Nelson-Siegel term structure model," Working Paper Series 2008-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008. "An Arbitrage-Free Generalized Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Model," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jens H.E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2008. "An Arbitrage-Free Generalized Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Model," NBER Working Papers 14463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Ferstl & Josef Hayden, . "Zero-Coupon Yield Curve Estimation with the Package termstrc," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 36(i01).
- Siem Jan Koopman & Max I.P. Mallee & Michel van der Wel, 2007. "Analyzing the Term Structure of Interest Rates using the Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Model with Time-Varying Parameters," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-095/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Rafael Barros de Rezende, 2008. "Giving flexibility to the Nelso-Siegel class of term structure models," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807211322560, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Francisco Rivadeneyra, 2012. "The U.S.-Dollar Supranational Zero-Coupon Curve," Discussion Papers 12-5, Bank of Canada.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & van der Wel, Michel, 2013.
"Forecasting the US term structure of interest rates using a macroeconomic smooth dynamic factor model,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 676-694.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Michel van der Wel, 2011. "Forecasting the U.S. Term Structure of Interest Rates using a Macroeconomic Smooth Dynamic Factor Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-063/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "On the Estimation of Term Structure Models and An Application to the United States," IMF Working Papers 10/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Dick van Dijk & Siem Jan Koopman & Michel van der Wel & Jonathan H. Wright, 2012. "Forecasting Interest Rates with Shifting Endpoints," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-076/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Wali Ullah & Yasumasa Matsuda, 2012. "Term Structure Modeling and Forecasting of Government Bond Yields : Does Macroeconomic Factors Imply Better Out-of-Sample Forecasts?," TERG Discussion Papers 304, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University.
- Caio Almeida & Axel Simonsen & José Vicente, 2012. "Forecasting Bond Yields with Segmented Term Structure Models," Working Papers Series 288, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Daniel Vela, 2013. "Forecasting Latin-American yield curves: An artificial neural network approach," Borradores de Economia 761, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eder, Armin & Keiler, Sebastian & Pichl, Hannes, 2013. "Interest rate risk and the Swiss solvency test," Discussion Papers 41/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Annaert, Jan & Claes, Anouk G.P. & De Ceuster, Marc J.K. & Zhang, Hairui, 2013. "Estimating the spot rate curve using the Nelson–Siegel model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 482-496.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.