Distributing Dividends in Games with Ordered Players
AbstractA situation in which a finite set of players can obtain certain payoffs by cooperation can be described by a cooperative game with transferable utility, or simply a TU-game. A solution for TU-games assigns a set of payoff vectors to every TU-game. Some solutions that are based on distributing dividends are the Shapley value (being the single-valued solution distributing the dividends equally among the players in the corresponding coalitions) and the Selectope or Harsanyi set (being the set-valued solution that contains all possible distributions of the dividends among the players in the corresponding coalitions). In this paper we assume the players to be hierarchically ordered. We modify the concept of Harsanyi set to this context by taking into account this hierarchical order when distributing the dividends of the game. We show that the resulting new solution concept for games with ordered players, called the Restricted Harsanyi set, is fully characterized by a collection of seven logically independent properties. We also discuss an alternative modification of the Harsanyi set and a solution concept resulting from adapting the concept of Selectope to games with ordered players. Some applications show the usefulness of the Restricted Harsanyi set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tinbergen Institute in its series Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers with number 06-114/1.
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl
TU-game; Harsanyi dividends; Shapley value; Harsanyi set; Selectope; digraph;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winter, Eyal, 1989. "A Value for Cooperative Games with Levels Structure of Cooperation," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 227-40.
- Valeri Vasil'ev & Gerard van der Laan, 2001. "The Harsanyi Set for Cooperative TU-Games," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-004/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ichiishi, Tatsuro, 1981. "Super-modularity: Applications to convex games and to the greedy algorithm for LP," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 283-286, October.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G. & Brink, J.R. van den, 1991.
"Games with permission structures: The conjunctive approach,"
1991-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gilles, Robert P & Owen, Guillermo & van den Brink, Rene, 1992. "Games with Permission Structures: The Conjunctive Approach," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 277-93.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Owen, G. & Tijs, S.H., 1992. "On the position value for communication situations," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154855, Tilburg University.
- Hart, Sergiu & Kurz, Mordecai, 1983. "Endogenous Formation of Coalitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1047-64, July.
- Kalai, Ehud & Postlewaite, Andrew & Roberts, John, 1978. "Barriers to trade and disadvantageous middlemen: Nonmonotonicity of the core," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 200-209, October.
- René van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Valeri Vasil'ev, 2004. "On the Extreme Points of Two Polytopes associated with a Digraph and Applications to Cooperative Games," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-069/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Graham, Daniel A & Marshall, Robert C & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1990. "Differential Payments within a Bidder Coalition and the Shapley Value," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 493-510, June.
- Jean Derks & Hans Haller & Hans Peters, 2000. "The selectope for cooperative games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 23-38.
- S. C. Littlechild & G. Owen, 1973. "A Simple Expression for the Shapley Value in a Special Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 370-372, November.
- RenÊ van den Brink, 1997. "An Axiomatization of the Disjunctive Permission Value for Games with a Permission Structure," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 27-43.
- Faigle, U & Kern, W, 1992. "The Shapley Value for Cooperative Games under Precedence Constraints," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 249-66.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Gerard van der Laan & Dolf Talman, 2004.
"The Socially Stable Core in Structured Transferable Utility Games,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-043/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & van der Laan, Gerard & Talman, Dolf, 2007. "The socially stable core in structured transferable utility games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 85-104, April.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2007. "The socially stable core in structured transferable utility games," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-195976, Tilburg University.
- Herings,Jean-Jacques & Laan,Gerard,van der & Talman,Dolf, 2004. "The Socially Stable Core in Structured Transferable Utility Games," Research Memorandum 015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Herings, P.J.J. & Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 2004. "The Socially Stable Core in Structured Transferable Utility Games," Discussion Paper 2004-51, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ren� van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Valeri Vasil'ev, 0000. "The Restricted Core for Totally Positive Games with Ordered Players," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-038/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- van den Brink, René & van der Laan, Gerard & Vasil'ev, Valeri, 2008. "Extreme points of two digraph polytopes: Description and applications in economics and game theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(11), pages 1114-1125, December.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00583868 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antoine Maartens (+31 626 - 160 892)).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.